Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Woodstove "plastic" smell?

We've had our woodstove for about four years now. Late last year, we
started noticing a "plastic" smell when we are using the woodstove. It
seems to be most noticeable when we have a hot fire going. If I damper down
the fire, the smell goes away.

I assumed it was just the paint on the woodstove or chimney pipe, but the
smell never seems to burn off. And it's strong again the next time we use
the woodstove.

I've cleaned the chimney, vacuumed all dust on and around the stove,
cleaned the door, etc. I've checked the walls around the woodstove to make
sure it isn't coming from an external source, but they rarely even get warm
to the touch.

We burn only clean dry wood (fir, pine, cedar, and alder mostly), NEVER
garbage or other material that might produce the smell. In fact, we rarely
even smell smoke unless I've opened the door to load wood or something.

Our wood stove (Lopi Patriot model) also gets it's combustion air from an
external source, not from the living space.

I've checked everything I can think of. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a high temperature chimney sealant every year because I have to take
my chimney apart from downstairs to clean the chimney (top too high to
reach).

Anyway each year when I burn my first few fires, this stuff burns off and
gives a nasty smell. Also smokes a bit. But after this it no longer smells.

I would suggest opening all your doors and windows, then letting the fire
burn at a higher temperature a few times. Then I bet the smell will go away.

(My stove also had a bad smell when new with the first few very hot fires.
Perhaps the paint?)

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a high temperature chimney sealant every year because I have to
take my chimney apart from downstairs to clean the chimney (top too
high to reach).

I use a high temp silicone on my chimney pipe (recommended by the woodstove
company), but it's only above the roof line and not in our living space.
Also, it has been there since I installed the stove, and the smell only
started last year.

I previously took the lower part of my chimney apart after cleaning so I
could clean out the top of the woodstove. This usually meant it got a few
scratches and had to be repainted. Thinking the paint might be the cause of
the smell, I cleaned the stove out from the inside this year so I wouldn't
have to paint. But the smell is still there.

I would suggest opening all your doors and windows, then letting the
fire burn at a higher temperature a few times. Then I bet the smell
will go away.

I'll give it a try, but I've had lots of hot fires and the smell always
seems to return.

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony,

If you have attic space I'd go up there and look around. Something may
be too close to your chimney or stove pipe. Are you sure about the trash?
There's a lot of plactic in junk mail.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

Our wood stove (Lopi Patriot model) also gets it's combustion air
from an external source, not from the living space.

I've checked everything I can think of. What am I missing?

The stove's made of plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message
We've had our woodstove for about four years now. Late last year, we
started noticing a "plastic" smell when we are using the woodstove. It
seems to be most noticeable when we have a hot fire going. If I damper
down
the fire, the smell goes away.

May not be your problem but if you have small children could they have
parked a toy in a blower vent on the unit?

Mine did and took a long time for it to burn away. -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave,

If you have attic space I'd go up there and look around.
Something may be too close to your chimney or stove pipe.

Nope, no attic. We have vaulted ceilings. I boxed in the chimney pipe where
it passes through the 2x12 rafter bays (with about 3" of air space between
the pipe and wood). It's capped by flashing on top and a trim ring on the
bottom. Nothing can get in there.

In addition, the smell is noticeable long before the chimney pipe is even
warm to the touch.

Are you sure about the trash?
There's a lot of plastic in junk mail.

Nope, I never burn paper, junk mail, or any other kind of trash. Only dry
wood (Logs, woodworking cutoffs, NO pressure treated, NO plywood). I use a
couple of "fatwood" sticks to start the fires.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

The stove's made of plastic?

The new Fisher Price woodstove?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

When you called the manufacturer about this problem, what did they say?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

It's the paint. It will always do that when you get 'em extra hot.

That's what I thought, but it seems to smell long before the woodstove or
chimney pipe has gotten hot enough to cause the paint to release vapors.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HerHusband wrote:
Steve,

It's the paint. It will always do that when you get 'em extra hot.

That's what I thought, but it seems to smell long before the woodstove or
chimney pipe has gotten hot enough to cause the paint to release vapors.

Have you used a cleaner of any sort or a touchup paint?

Are the firebricks loose in the bottom/sides or are they cemented in?
Neighbor had one (forget the maker) where it broke down after some time
whereas the Fisher I had just had loose brick mechanically restrained.

Does it come at the beginning of a fire and then lessen? If so, perhaps
it's a moisture accumulation related problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know then. In your OP, you said:

We've had our woodstove for about four years now. Late last year, we
started noticing a "plastic" smell when we are using the woodstove. It
seems to be most noticeable when we have a hot fire going. If I damper down
the fire, the smell goes away.

so i thought that it was only when it was extra hot.

steve

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Steve,

It's the paint. It will always do that when you get 'em extra hot.

That's what I thought, but it seems to smell long before the woodstove or
chimney pipe has gotten hot enough to cause the paint to release vapors.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you used a cleaner of any sort or a touchup paint?

The only cleaner I use is a glass cleaner for the inside of the door. "Red
Devil" I think. It works really well for cleaning the glass, and I've been
using it longer than the smell has been occurring. I've never noticed any
smell or residue from the cleaner.

I have used touchup paint on the chimney in previous years where it got
scratched during cleaning. But I tried to avoid that this year by cleaning
the woodstove from the inside instead of from the top.

Are the firebricks loose in the bottom/sides or are they cemented in?

Ours are loose laid, held in place by brackets. I checked them when I
cleaned the woodstove, and they all look in good condition.

Does it come at the beginning of a fire and then lessen? If so,
perhaps it's a moisture accumulation related problem?

It does seem to occur more at the start of the fire, but we have noticed it
later in the evening too.

The only repeatable thing I have been able to determine is when the damper
is fully open and the fire is burning hot. It's not necessarily when the
woodstove is hot, just the fire is burning strong.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

i thought that it was only when it was extra hot.

I notice it most when the "fire" is burning strong and hot. This can occur
when we first start the fire and the stove is still cold, or it can occur
later in the evening if I open the damper and get the fire going strong
again.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

When you called the stove manufacturer, what insights did they offer, if
any?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

What's the wood supply and how is it stored?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
HerHusband wrote:

Steve,

i thought that it was only when it was extra hot.

I notice it most when the "fire" is burning strong and hot. This can occur
when we first start the fire and the stove is still cold, or it can occur
later in the evening if I open the damper and get the fire going strong
again.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Anthony

I'd be suspicious about that fatwood. I think some of it is fake, soaked
in oil maybe. Try a fire or two made the boy scout way, and see whether
you still get the smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

pacificenergy had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ll-258778-.htm
:
Hi,

Just wondering if you've solved the mystery of your woodstove smell yet.
I have a very similar problem and have taken the same steps you have. I
have yet to try a fire with the insulation pad removed from my Pacific
Energy stove. This was a suggestion as the pad could have become
contaminated by something, although it looks and smells fine to me. I
have spoken to three different dealers for this stove and none can offer
any suggestions or solutions. Very frustrating. Hope you can help.
Thanks in advance.

Andre Levesque

-------------------------------------
HerHusband wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andre,

Just wondering if you've solved the mystery of your woodstove smell
yet. I have a very similar problem and have taken the same steps you
have. I have yet to try a fire with the insulation pad removed from
my Pacific Energy stove. This was a suggestion as the pad could have
become contaminated by something, although it looks and smells fine to
me. I have spoken to three different dealers for this stove and none
can offer any suggestions or solutions. Very frustrating. Hope you
can help. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, no. We fired up the woodstove last night, for the first
time this season, and noticed the chemical smell again. It was very
faint, but still there.

I just cleaned the chimney and woodstove out last week, including
vacuuming all the ashes and everything out so nothing would be left in
there to create a smell. We don't have any kind of pad in our stove.

Like you said, it's frustrating...

Anthony

Andre Levesque

-------------------------------------
HerHusband wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Andre,

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

My pacific energy woodstove insert does that each year for the first
few fires. I thought it might have been the crap atop the stove that
makes it's way in each summer (dust etc) but that was not the case. I
am convinced it is the paint. I think that the owner of the home
before me who installed the stove did not follow the directions for
the first fires that would properly bake in the paint job.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

HerHusband wrote:
We fired up the woodstove last night, for the first
time this season, and noticed the chemical smell again.

You say you notice it when the *fire* is hot, not when the *stove*
is hot. That suggests the problem is related to creosote buildup
in the chimney.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

You say you notice it when the *fire* is hot, not when the *stove*
is hot. That suggests the problem is related to creosote buildup
in the chimney.

Just a poor choice of words...

The smell is most noticeable when the woodstove has heated up and I get a
good fire roaring in it. If I damper it down, the smell dissipates.

I thoroughly clean our chimney every summer with the appropriate wire brush
and rods, and completely remove the previous winters ashes, including
vacuuming any ash that falls down the chimney and builds up on the top of
the firebricks.

It has to be paint related, as it's the same smell we had when we first got
the woodstove. I expect it the first few fires, but eventually I would
think it would cure or burn off...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 11, 3:25*pm, HerHusband wrote:
You say you notice it when the *fire* is hot, not when the *stove*
is hot. *That suggests the problem is related to creosote buildup
in the chimney.

Just a poor choice of words...

The smell is most noticeable when the woodstove has heated up and I get a
good fire roaring in it. If I damper it down, the smell dissipates.

I thoroughly clean our chimney every summer with the appropriate wire brush
and rods, and completely remove the previous winters ashes, including
vacuuming any ash that falls down the chimney and builds up on the top of
the firebricks.

It has to be paint related, as it's the same smell we had when we first got
the woodstove. I expect it the first few fires, but eventually I would
think it would cure or burn off...

Anthony

The procedure for "seasoning" new stoves is to burn several small
fires before burning a long, hot fire. During these "seasoning" fires,
most of the paint burn-in will take place. But the first few times you
fire the stove high, you may get some residual burn-in odor. After
five or six fires, it should stop as it does with ours (1-2) burns. I
know it's a hassle but if your continues to off gas paint odors I'd
consider removing it, sandblasting the thing and repainting it then do
a good seasoning of the stove. Or you can continue breathing in toxic
fumes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

HerHusband wrote:
The smell is most noticeable when the woodstove has heated up and I get a
good fire roaring in it. If I damper it down, the smell dissipates.

This is more consistent with creosote than curing paint, but since you
say the odor was strongest when the stove was new, curing paint likely
is the culprit.

I thoroughly clean our chimney every summer with the appropriate wire brush
and rods,

Brushing won't remove much creosote.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brushing won't remove much creosote.

How would you clean your chimney then?

My woodstove manual, and EVERY chimney care maintenance I have ever read
recommends a properly fitting wire chimney brush and annual cleaning.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

hartsong wrote the following:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ll-258778-.htm
hartsong wrote:
We are using a wood stove in our basement to supplement heat and I have
started to
notice a \"plastic like smell\" especially when I\'ve rekindled a fire and
got it
going nice and hot. Any ideas? Haven\'t used any paint etc. just burning a
lot of
wood keeping the fire going for heat in the house. Thanks for any input.

Bob

Originally posted October 17, 2007.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob,

We are using a wood stove in our basement to supplement heat
and I have started to notice a "plastic like smell" especially
when I've rekindled a fire and got it going nice and hot.

Anthony, Did you get any answers?

That was an old post from a few years ago, and I don't remember hearing a
reasonable explanation for the plastic smell.

Thankfully, the plastic smell eventually went away on it's own, as
inexplicably as it started.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
Bob,

We are using a wood stove in our basement to supplement heat
and I have started to notice a "plastic like smell" especially
when I've rekindled a fire and got it going nice and hot.

Anthony, Did you get any answers?

That was an old post from a few years ago, and I don't remember
hearing a reasonable explanation for the plastic smell.

Thankfully, the plastic smell eventually went away on it's own, as
inexplicably as it started.

It was probably from plastic melted onto the stove. Perhaps from being sloppy
while wearing a pile sweater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thankfully, the plastic smell eventually went away on it's own, as
inexplicably as it started.

Anthony

Whatever it was burned up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thankfully, the plastic smell eventually went away on it's own, as
inexplicably as it started.

Whatever it was burned up.

Perhaps, though I had burned many hot fires previously and the smell
remained. I never burn anything except clean dry wood (usually alder, fir,
or cedar).

Every summer I clean the woodstove and chimney thoroughly. This includes
scooping out all the ash, then vaccuuming out any remaining ash. I have
fine filter bags in my vac to avoid blowing ash all over the house. . I
also vaccuum all around the outside and back, and wipe everything down with
a damp rag (water only).

So, I suppose there may have been something in the ashes that gave off the
smell and removing it got rid of the smell. I really don't know, but am
thankful it has gone away.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 31, 11:20*am, HerHusband wrote:
Thankfully, the plastic smell eventually went away on it's own, as
inexplicably as it started.

Whatever it was burned up.

Perhaps, though I had burned many hot fires previously and the smell
remained. *I never burn anything except clean dry wood (usually alder, fir,
or cedar).

Every summer I clean the woodstove and chimney thoroughly. This includes
scooping out all the ash, then vaccuuming out any remaining ash. I have
fine filter bags in my vac to avoid blowing ash all over the house. . *I
also vaccuum all around the outside and back, and wipe everything down with
a damp rag (water only).

So, I suppose there may have been something in the ashes that gave off the
smell and removing it got rid of the smell. *I really don't know, but am
thankful it has gone away.

Anthony

I've a PE woodstove and the previous owner did not follow the
instructions for the bake in of the paint. The smell was there 10
minutes after start up every time. It recently required a touch up on
paint but I decided to kill 2 birds by having the unit sandblasted. I
repainted and followed instructions on bake in - problem solved. I
suggest If all else fails you do what I did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:30:25 AM UTC-4, Colbyt wrote:
"HerHusband" wrote in message
We've had our woodstove for about four years now. Late last year, we
started noticing a "plastic" smell when we are using the woodstove. It
seems to be most noticeable when we have a hot fire going. If I damper
down
the fire, the smell goes away.

May not be your problem but if you have small children could they have
parked a toy in a blower vent on the unit?

Mine did and took a long time for it to burn away. -

OMG! I had the same problem and just couldn't figure it out! I read your post and sure enough, there was a damn little car in one of the blower vent tubes! I owe you one! Thanks ColbyT (-:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:45:57 AM UTC-7, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I am writing as have similar issue in two different stoves. The nasty chemical smell was very similar in both cases. The first stove i had was a " fake : gas stove. The kind with flames but you cant burn wood in it. It was newly installed. When I complained about the smell that came and went ...but was most strong if the stove hadnt been used in a while. The installer said it was the smell the insulation emitted at high temps from the insert box. Fast forward 10 years , different country. Had a wood burning stove for 8 years...then moved and had to get new pipes to fit right. the bottom ones are black heavy metal ones...hiher up they are shiny stainless steel ( I think) but the upper part is wrapped in rockwool covered in that metal looking wrapper. exact Nasty chemical smell again ..So it definetely either the new black pipies or the insulation...( the stove never had it the smell in 10 years.( or th eolder black pipes either which at one time were new to me) .I thought it was the insulaion ...but could be the paint on the black pipes. I am very sensitive to this chemical smell . I need to fix it ,,,, any ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The ceramic sealant for the door/glass may be the odor you smell.* It's horrendous, and you're likely to smell it in areas furthest from the stove.* Definitely chemical smell.* Solution:* disassemble the door.* Clean all of the sealant off thoroughly.* Replace gaskets with a thicker sealant (more caulk-like than runny black crap that comes with gaskets).* Use the absolute minimum amount of sealant with new gaskets (Follow recommendations).* This will help a lot, but may not solve completely.* Circulate the air in your home, open windows.* Spaces where heat gets trapped emit stronger odor.* Another option is to not burn so hot, and makes sure your chimney and stove is cleaned regularly.

Paint smells similar, but slightly different.* So if unit or paint is fresh, take unit outside and burn off out there for 4-8 hours first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:45:57 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Possibly the carbon build up on the inside of the unit itself. When the damper is closed just a little too much(not enough to emit smoke)on ours, we experience a very unpleasant smell. This didn't start until the unit was at least 2-3 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:45:57 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Hey guys I realize Im way late to the party but we have lopi endevor have had it for 4 years last couple it has been making a plastic chemical smell, I was wondering if any of you have nailed down a true reason. Im wondering about the incorrectly cured paint. When we first bought the stove I had trouble burning it exactly the way they recomended be our wood ended up not being seasoned enough for this stove. Everything I burn now is two years seasoned and I only burn hedge. I have burnt junk mail with some plastic on it but I would think a couple 600 degree fires would deffinently make the smell go away. would love some feed back the local stove shop were we bought it thinks were nuts.