Posted to alt.home.repair
vincent_bay510 vincent_bay510 is offline

Default So long newsgroups...

vincent_bay510 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ps-331690-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 9/17/2008 6:39 AM Kurt Ullman spake thus:

In article ,
"CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert"
wrote:

Comcast decided to take this opportunity to shed services
without price.
They are using the "they did it" excuse. So my
newsgroup service is going
bye bye. The greed never stops.

To be fair, I would dump their ass for another company if I
could. I guess
I am greedy too. Just you wait Comcast!

This group really saved me lots of pain and suffering.

CLG signing off....

If you are still around there are a number of free or
inexpensive
Usenet providers that you could still get to. Especially if you
don't do
a lot of binaries. I have no personal background with any of
these, so
buyer beware, but a quick Google picked up:
www.freeusenet.org
www.newzbot.com
www.newsgroupreviews.com

But how many of those allow you to post through them? My experience
(some time ago, I admit) was that all the free providers were basically

"read-only", and that you had to pay $$ in order to post.

I'm obviously a little late to the thread (just registered here), but I
would recommend Newsguy.com for anyone that is looking for a reliable
newsgroup provider.

They have accounts as low as $3/month that allow 10GB of monthly
downloads, unlimited posting, NNTP newsreader & Web access, newsgroup
search engine, and 5 email boxes if you don't want to post with your ISP
or company email address.

They're rated highly at most of the review sites (http://newsadmin.com,
etc.) and they have a free trial so you can check them out before buying
an account. I've been happy with them, and they may be worth a look.

Vince