Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Battery question

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:54:33 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

clare at snyder dot ontario dot

Get a pair of 7 or 8 ah AGM batteries commonly used in alarm
systems, emergency lighting systems, computer UPS, and other
rechargeable devices. Should cost about 25-30 each - possibly as
much as 35 depending where you buy them. Put the pigtail from the
old battery on and GO!

Note that the batteries made for UPS Systems have special codes
added to the standard model numbers, with a higher discharge rate,
and a corresponding higher price cause they cost more to make. And
they have different terminals (usually bolted lugs instead of QC
Tabs) that can pass the higher current levels.

My Internet Office 500 uninterruptible power supply UPS battery by
Tripp-Lite does not have bolted lugs, it has tabs that the
connectors slide onto. But I'm wondering how a sturdier connector
would be an issue anyway.

Your standard 7AH batteries have a 20A fuse and will see a 6A -
10A
max load for an hour or two - the same size batteries in a UPS
might see 40A to 60A load, but only for three to ten minutes.

About the only other place this would be useful is driving an
electric starter for a small (under 10 HP) gasoline engine, where
the battery size and weight is an issue.

Why is being able to source more current a problem?
The motor will draw only the current it needs and the fuse will
work, whether the battery can source 20 amps or 1000 amps.

The buyer can easily decide simply based on comparing prices.

I have some Hawker 22AH batteries that will gladly dish out 2000 amps
into a short circuit that would also make good batteries for the kid's
little sidewalk car. (at about $279 each. last I recall). It will very
handily crank the 165 inch Chevy Corvair.