Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
Ulysses[_2_] Ulysses[_2_] is offline

Default Honda generators

"jack" wrote in message
I've used eu2000s for a lot of years. I've had failures after 3-4
years
of around 6 - 10 hours a day use. And then it was usually just the
timing belt which you can fix.

Thats like 7,500 hours before the first problem? Is that right?!

Well, aside from changing the oil religiously another problem they have is
with the starting rope. It is routed around some stuff and it can wear out
after a few thousand hours. I coated the wear point with a little 5-Minute
Epoxy and that seemed to help it last longer. In order to replace the pull
rope you have to remove all of the red plastic and that can be
difficult--one of the top (handle) screws on mine was so stuck I had to
drill it out and one of the bottom bolts stripped.

Actually 7500 hours was the *last* problem. It barely runs now since the
oil splasher gear broke and was replaced. I just dragged it out of it's
tomb and tried using it with my electric chain saw because it is still the
most easily portable genny I have that can run the saw. It shuts down the
inverter when on Eco Throttle but seems OK when Eco is off. It burns oil
and the oil turns black after only an hour or two. I used to change the oil
about every 60 hours (I think) and it was still transparent.

I have about 150 hours on mine; I guess it will last a while longer.