Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Battery question

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

My grandkids have this ATV. It's plastic, and runs on a 12v 8AH
battery that won't charge any more. I haven't priced them, but
they're probably proprietary and spendy. Would a common
lawnmower/motorcycle battery from Checker work? They're close
to the same size. Or would it have too much amperage and burn up
the motor?

It needs to be a Deep Cycle style battery for the usage. Most
Sealed Lead Acid "Gel Cell" batteries are, most motorcycle and
car batteries are not.

I have tipped the battery upside down, and although it says
lead/acid, nothing came out.

There are sealed lead acid batteries that don't leak.

Those who suggested deep cycle RV and golf cart batteries were
simply overthinking this.

My first attempt was under thinking this. They are right and it's
not that big of a deal to get one. Being deep cycle/discharge has
nothing to do with battery size. They don't have to be big, ordinary
household batteries probably fit the description of being a deep
discharge/cycle battery. That's what you need. You just don't want a
battery made for starting equipment or motor vehicles.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/