Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why hasn't my copper pipe burst after feezing?

On Oct 6, 8:36�am, dpb wrote:

I have read that all new faucets are designed to leak under the very
high pressures from frozen lines. the drip that results saves lines
from splitting. ...

Where might that have been written, pray tell?

A faucet _might_ happen to leak some, but it surely isn't a design
feature and highly unlikely to be effective to stop the freeze bursting
of a pipe unless left open enough to have an actual water flow...

--

a few years federal legislation was passed requiring all faucets leak
if pressure exceeeds 200 pounds or something like that.

prevents frozen pipes from splitting and in fires pipes burrsting.

the rule made the news some years ago. provided no drip at normal
pressures you would never know of the change