Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Battery question

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

My grandkids have this ATV. It's plastic, and runs on a 12v 8AH
battery that won't charge any more. I haven't priced them, but
they're probably proprietary and spendy. Would a common
lawnmower/motorcycle battery from Checker work? They're close to
the same size. Or would it have too much amperage and burn up the
motor?

Only if the battery's voltage is too high. If the battery voltage is
correct for the motor, it's the other way around, you need to know
whether the battery can supply enough current. Most batteries can
supply lots of current. The amp hour rating is just the battery
capacity. Greater amp hours at the same correct voltage just means
it will run the motor longer (and it takes longer to charge).

Whether your replacement battery is suitable might also depend on
whether it can withstand shock.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/