Posted to alt.home.repair
jack[_8_] jack[_8_] is offline

Default Why hasn't my copper pipe burst after feezing?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message

So, why do some pipes burst, but not this one? The ice expanded out the
top,

There's your answer. Solder a valve on one end, fill, close valve, then
freeze

Sealing the top doesn't seem right. The one time I had broken pipes, they
were drained, but there was some residue left in low spots. They had plenty
of room to expand into.

I thought a better test would be to put a right angle bend on the pipe; then
fill it and let it freeze. The right angle would reduce the ice's ability
to expand, and would be pretty much like real plumbing.

4 hours at zero and it didn't do anything but freeze. It didn't even swell.

Apparently my simulation is deficient. Maybe the bottom of the L has to be
much longer?