Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Kendrick Tom Kendrick is offline

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

My parents have an ancient Hunter fan. The oil cup is on top of the
motor where the cast bracket is part of the top of the motor housing.
I had to get on a ladder and run my finger around the top until it
fell into the cup, probably 3/4" diameter. I squirted about 1-2 ounces
into it, then manually gave the blades a spin to distribute. The fan
had run so dry that the motor could not turn the blades. Once a little
light machine oil made it slick again, it ran just fine.
Tom

All the Hunter "Original" (and other brands) had/have an oil cup.

Very interesting. Where on the fan was the oil cup? Maybe I just
haven't recognized them.