Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

On Sat 04 Oct 2008 12:55:59p, l, not -l told us...

On 5-Sep-2008, "SteveBell" wrote:

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they
started out that way. There was a period that fans were being
imported and they were rather poor quality.

I'll second that. Ceiling fans are not generally user-maintainable.
They're mostly disposable. I've never seen one with an oil cup.

All the Hunter "Original" (and other brands) had/have an oil cup.

Very interesting. Where on the fan was the oil cup? Maybe I just
haven't recognized them.

I have 25-30 year old Sears 52" ceiling fan (model 292.905500) which
uses a felt pad oil wick lubrication system. This fan has a side-ways
mount motor, with a drive wheel that turns a cast hub, to which the
blades attach. The felt pads lubricate the interface of the hub to the
hub shaft.

Parts illustration can be seen at:
http://tinyurl.com/3ptcyj, which is shorthand for
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...nentFullSize.a
ction?imageUrl=http%3a%2f%2fcontent.searspartsdire ct.com%2flis_png%2fPLDM
%2f00043312-00001.png

Any ideas about how much oil one should put on the pads (cylinder around
hub shaft and felt washer at the bottom).

I'm guessing no more than 1/2 teaspoon. The felt should fully absorb it.
If the pad doesn't seem saturated after adding the oil, add a bit more. If
it seems excessive, absorb any over amount with paper towels until no more
readily comes off.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
5wks 2dys 5hrs 57mins
Remember the cold war? How pre-millennial!