Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Electric Fence

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:55:02 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

Not for keeping animals IN but for keeping neighbors OUT. I'd like to
put enough voltage on the fence to pain so much pain you'd scream and
possibly loose you bowl/bladder controls but NOT enough voltage to do
permanent harm or death.

[rant snipped]

Thanks and I look forward to some ideas and plans without political or
moral grandstanding.

Any "low impedance" fence charger should work just fine for what you
want. Get one that is UL listed. Expect to spend about $100 to $200
for the controller. (adequate high-impedance can be had for about $40)
Check with your county to see if there are regulations on electric
fences -- warning signs, etc.

Even the worst fence charger shock is about like touching a sparkplug;
it's a sudden jolt that punches you then lets go. You can't possibly
grab ahold of one for a lengthy shock; that's a safety feature. The old
"weed burner" chargers were particularly painful, but I don't think any
of them were UL listed.

--
Bob