Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay R Jay R is offline

Default Comcast is dropping newsgroups

You won't get an argument out of me.

Porn was just an easy excuse.

Over the past couple of months I have been looking at the various articles
about how the carriers are reigning in the bandwidth.

There is a carrrier up in NY limiting dl to 50 gb a month, I just saw
Comcast in some areas going to 250 GB.

It sounds like a lot but when you think about the surfing, the streaming TV
and music, it burns up fast.

It will be like the old dial up days when your monthly nut was based on how
much time you wanted.

It did not matter before because they were just the delivery system but now
that they are selling content as well, they want to force people to their
products.

Like I said, it will take a while until people get mad enough to file for
class action.

"Len" wrote in message
. ..

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Jay R" wrote

I received an email this week from Verizon noting that I had been

acccessing
seveal alt.binaries groups including ww pix, some model train sites

and a
couple others.

It reminded me that this was in violation of the terms of service.

I have concluded that:

1) They can monitor accessing banned groups

2) They know where I live

and

3) Will keep doing so until I see what they threaten to do.

I am hoping enough people get mad enough to petition for a class

action
for
denial of service.

I can't believe the news services are not staring to worry about

this.

As I have said countless times ... "censorship", pure and simple ...

and
your experience above is chilling.

Maybe the sheep will finally look up, eh?

It's not really about censorship, it's about $$$.

'UseNet' (where news-groups live) predates what most folks think of as
'The Internet', with it's blogs and forums, and generally lives on a
different set of servers than 'The Internet'. Even with the thousands of
news-groups out there, the number of 'Use-Net' users out there is much
lower than the number of 'Internet' users.

So a lot of ISPs are looking for an excuse to dump UseNet completely,
and eliminate the costs associated with maintaining those servers. So
along comes that NY Attorney General who finds porn on a dozen or so
news-groups and demands all of UseNet be eliminated because of it. This
gave the ISPs the excuse they've been looking for to dump UseNet, and
with a few exceptions they've been all over making it go away instead of
fighting back.like you'd expect.

It's because of $$$, not censorship.

Len