Posted to rec.woodworking
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Comcast is dropping newsgroups

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:41:19 GMT, Nova
wrote:

Jay R wrote:

I would check their terms of service.

Verizon's notice specifically stated that accessing the dropped groups using
"other" means over Verizon's service was against their terms of service.

After speaking with a number of network fold I ignored them and signed up
for a news servcie.

I received an email this week from Verizon noting that I had been acccessing
seveal alt.binaries groups including ww pix, some model train sites and a
couple others.

It reminded me that this was in violation of the terms of service.

snip

What were you doing that violated Verizon's TOS?

The Verizon web site SPECIFICALLY says you can access non-Verizon news
groups over the Verizon network.

"If I want to access Newsgroups different from the ones you carry, what
are my options?

There are several commercial news providers that you can consider. You
may want to check out some options at
http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm. The content available, posting
policies, terms and prices will vary, so you should select the one that
is right for you. If you elect to access a non-Verizon newsgroup over
the Verizon Network, our terms of service and acceptable use policy will
still apply to your use of our Service."

http://netservices.verizon.net/porta...group_06_12_08

Howdy,

There are several completely free Usenet servers...

I have been using aioe, and motzarella happily since
learning of the Comcast change. I also got a $60 refund from
Comcast.

All the best,
--
Kenneth