Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Finding studs

On Oct 3, 11:36*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:12:10 -0400, Richard Evans

wrote:
I've struggled with this for the last forty years.

I want to hang something on a drywall wall, and I want to use the
studs instead of drywall anchors. I have the damndest time finding the
studs reliably.

-snip-

Since I started using threaded drywall anchors [Zip it or E-Z] I don't
care where the stud is. *

I drive a screw and if it hits a stud I'm happy. *If it doesn't, I
drive one of these in the same hole and drive the screw into it.

Haven't had one fail yet. *[I have had a plastic one catch the side of
a stud and break. *Backed it out & now I use the metal ones.]

Jim

Um, as long as you mind the load limits. There are situations where
you MUST find a stud. A heavy wall cabinet is not going to be safely
supported by drywall anchors.