Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What batteries to use?

On 10/1/2008 5:53 PM spake thus:

Have some fun, put some nonrechargables in a battery charger and see
what happens... Great family fun..!

I assume you're referring to that oft-repeated claim that you must Never
Ever Put Non-Rechargeable Batteries In A Charger, printed on all
batteries and chargers. Or else they'll explode and destroy your house
and kill all its occupants.

Not true. I'm here to tell you that I've been recharging
non-rechargeables (alkalines, mostly) in my chargers for decades now.
The worst that happens is that a cell will leak; this isn't the end of
the world, and my charger still works even though that's happened to it
several times.

I'm not recommending this, as it only gives a weak charge at best, but
it will often restore a marginal cell to working capacity for at least a
little while.

The AAAs in my remote are Duracell alkalines that I've recharged several
times, and they're still working great. I'm guessing this is because the
remote draws so little current that it doesn't take much juice to
satisfy it.

- Paulo Freire