Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vernon[_2_] Vernon[_2_] is offline

Default Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

On Oct 3, 8:31*am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:00:43 -0700 (PDT), Vernon
wrote:

While I was gone the VFD came for the KBC mill. *So the family machine
shop seems to be coming together quickly. *I'm reviewing the technical
instructions on the inverter. *There is mention of some additional
components such as a "reactor" in case the input power is out of
balance by more than 3% plus a radio noise suppressor. *The latter
probably isn't needed. *But I think the "reactor" may apply to us.
Since we're in a rural location power is pretty dicey. *In fact,
recently, one leg of the 220v supply died completely. *I don't know
what that would do to an inverter. *But at $350 a pop I don't wanna
find out. *Even with my poor math one leg is a tad over 3% if I'm not
mistaken.

Unless your VFD is very unusual, it was designed to run on 3 phase
power, but will run on single phase with some derating. You're
planning on connecting it to single phase, which means one of the
VFD's power inputs will be unconnected -- a 100% imbalance -- and a
reactor isn't going to help that situation.

I've purchased line reactors from these folks, you may find useful
information in their technical articles.http://www.transcoil.com/

--
Ned Simmons

Ned,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm doing mortal battle with my own
ineptitude at things electrical.

Vernon