Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Comcast is dropping newsgroups

Keith nuttle wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Jay R" wrote in message
I would check their terms of service.

Verizon's notice specifically stated that accessing the dropped
groups using "other" means over Verizon's service was against
their
terms of service.

After speaking with a number of network fold I ignored them and
signed up for a news servcie.

I received an email this week from Verizon noting that I had been
acccessing seveal alt.binaries groups including ww pix, some model
train sites and a couple others.

It reminded me that this was in violation of the terms of service.

I have concluded that:

1) They can monitor accessing banned groups

2) They know where I live

and

3) Will keep doing so until I see what they threaten to do.

I am hoping enough people get mad enough to petition for a class
action for denial of service.

I can't believe the news services are not staring to worry about
this.

Do they have a local office? I would just show up with some picket
sign outside their local office. I would call the local media.

You have to have the right pitch. The model train thing is just
perfect. Tell the media that verizon hates model trains and they
are
persecuting you. That will be hard to explain away.

I believe there is more important things in the newsgroups than
model
trains. What about the disease specific newsgroups; and other self
help and support groups that will no longer be available to the
people
depending on those groups.

Which makes Comcast look more ludicrous, banning discussion of disease
or bannign discussion of model trains?

I have over 20 newsgroups that I check at least once a day, they are
the only place you can get quick good information. There is nothing
on the web that come close to the information you can get in the
genealogy newsgroups. I miss the binary for woodworking pictures.

There are over 30 thousand newsgroup, and only a small percentage
that
has questionable material. (unless you count the flamers who seem to
be on most groups ;-) ) As usual the majority is punished for
the
actions of a few.

I have an idea, since congress is looking for something to do
instead
of facing the issues maybe we can get a law past requiring the SIP
to carry the newsgroups.

So you're saying that ISPs that have _never_ had news servers would be
required to install them?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)