Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

On 2008-10-03, Vernon wrote:
On Oct 2, 5:24*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

* * * * Well ... not accordion -- just concertina (and tinwhistle).
Which style of concertina did you try? *Probably an Anglo style ((loke a

[ ... ]

* * * * The English system is what I play.

[ ... ]

I thought all concertinas were diatonic until reading your post. I
had one for a time I bought on ebay but never got the hang of it so I
sold it the same way. I've also played the Mexican corrido type
diatonics and similarly, with little success. It's odd because I play
the harmonica reasonably well.

My brain's wiring does not fit the diatonics, either. The
English system is fully chromatic, typically 3-1/2 octaves (from G below
middle C to C three octaves above middle C). This is the range of the
Treble English. My preference is a Tenor-Treble -- starts a half octave
below that at the C below middle C and goes up as far as the Treble
does.

All notes on the left hand are on the lines of the staff, and
all on the right hand are on the spaces, so a run alternates hands. (It
does make it easier to pick up playing from sheet music, as does the
nice mapping of the physical position of the buttons to the lines and
spaces. There are some duplications in the accidentals, such as D# and
Eb -- on opposite hands.

But I never could get the "innie
outie" difference when it transferred to my fingers.

Those who can -- especially coming from the harmonica -- seem to
tie the bellows travel to their breathing patterns. :-)

We're also
interested in the tin whistles and anything Irish. My older son is
quite the virtuoso on the tin whistle.

Hmm ... does he happen to have one (or more) of the Copeland
tin whistles? Expensive, but worth it.

Perhaps we should drop to e-mail for this, as we are well off
topic for the newsgroup. :-)

Or -- we could move to rec.music.makers.squeezebox. :-)

Please avoid HTML and attachments when e-mailing to me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564