Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Inlet vent for open fire - ?

Roger Mills wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

With suspended floors, and airbricks in the outside walls, is it
necessary to use ducting? I would have thought that some sort of
sliding grid to open and close a hole in the floor near the fireplace,
would be sufficient.

You could certainly get somewhere *near* the fire by doing that.

But my experience of suspended floors is that you still have a solid base
for the fire itself and for the hearth - so you'd have to tunnel under that
if you wanted to deliver the air right to the point of combustion.

My recollection is that, in my in-laws' bungalow to which I referred in an
earlier post, the exit from the duct was right under the fire basket, and
that there was a lever to open and close a valve to control the airflow.

** Newsflash ** - just done a Google - see
http://www.c20fires.co.uk/fireplace_...es/burnall.htm

Interesting. If we ever convert the garage for living space, I'd
consider installing that. I don't see us retrofitting the fireplace in
the living room, though.