Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Inlet vent for open fire - ?

Spamlet wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
jal wrote:
We have an open fire, which we use occasionally during the winter. I
rather fancy opening up a vent in the floor, near the hearth, in order
to feed the fire with air from the vent, rather than it sucking
draughts in via the doors to the room.

Does anyone have experience of this? Is my thinking along the right
lines? And what would I look for, at Screwfix, Wickes, etc?

I don't know whether you can retro-fit them - maybe you can if you have
suspended wooden floors, but it would be a bit more difficult with solid
floors.

My in-laws' bungalow (built in about 1960) had solid floors with
under-floor ventillation for the open fire built in. ISTR that there was
an airbrick in an outside wall, with a metal duct below the screed -
terminating under the fireplace. I think the relevant bits were made by
Baxi - but I doubt whether they make them now!

With suspended floors, and airbricks in the outside walls, is it necessary
to use ducting? I would have thought that some sort of sliding grid to
open and close a hole in the floor near the fireplace, would be
sufficient.

Cold feet?

The idea would be to help avoid cold feet, by providing airflow next to
the fire, thus (hopefully) minimising the rush of cold air across one's
feet.