Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Inlet vent for open fire - ?

jal wrote:
We have an open fire, which we use occasionally during the winter. I
rather fancy opening up a vent in the floor, near the hearth, in order to
feed the fire with air from the vent, rather than it sucking draughts in
via the doors to the room.

Does anyone have experience of this?

yes.

Is my thinking along the right lines?

Yes.

And what would I look for, at Screwfix, Wickes, etc?

Well assuming you have a vented underfloor space, one or two 4" drain
pipes, some cement, and a couple of - in my case - 6" drain covers..the
sort of cast iron thingies that you put in drainpipe collectors and the
like.

TIA

John

I my memory is serving me correctly you used to be able to get telescopic
ones that you lifted up when you wanted the vent to feed the fire. Was 50
years ago though.