Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
REMOVE REMOVE is offline

Default Electric motor lubrication

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:01:08 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

I have an even older Wagner 7.5 HP motor with grease fittings on each end. Grease is a way to keep
something oiled without having to tend to it very often. Think of grease as it was originally . . .
oil absorbed into soap flakes.

Bob Swinney
"Paul" wrote in message

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I have an old (1947±) LeBlonde Regal lathe. The huge motor (G.E. probably
only 2 hp) has grease fittings on each end (motor housing). Do I really
use grease? Do I replace the zerks with cups and add oil? Or do I modify
my grease gun to use oil?

All advise appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Hi Ivan,
I used to run an early '60s Devlieg jig mill at work with a huge motor that
also had grease fittings at each end. We did (and still do) use grease in
it. Ours has plugs on the opposite side of the housing from the zerks that
need to be removed before new grease is added or you'll blow out the seals
and pump the motor full of grease. We just pull out the plugs and pump in
new grease thru the zerk till the new grease starts coming out of the plug
hole and replace the plugs.
Paul

Over lubrication is the primary cause of premature bearing failure.
Check out lube recommendations on the bearing or grease manufacturers
web site. Depending on the capacity of your grease gun usually a
couple of shots periodically will suffice.