Posted to alt.home.repair
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Childhood lawn mower memories...

On Sep 29, 10:39*pm, Reed wrote:
ChrisCoasterwrote:
When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. *It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

1. Who made these mowers and
2. Any photos?

I vividly recall to this day the language that came from the back yard
as Dad tried to get that thing to start and run for at least 3 minutes
between "winding". *The winding sound is actually similar to rapidly
passing a stick across a picket fence or the clickety clack sound some
bicycles made because their owners put a stick in the spokes that made
the sound as they rode down the street.

Thanks for helping to revive these memories!

-ChrisCoaster

did it look anything like this ?

http://www.vintagemowers.net/main_files/envoy.jpg- Hide quoted text -

_________________________
Well, I have what I term a "halo" memory. Specifically, my memory, as
a whole, has a "hole" in it that gradually fills in the further I go
back in time to remember something. Doctors call it "short-term
memory loss". The very fact that I still remember the SOUND of that
windup and the SMELL of gasoline as my Dad (unintetionally mind you)
flooded the sunovabitch verifies that fact. The very fact that my
wife just asked me to do something and I need to ask her "What was it
you wanted, pookie?" at least twice also points to severe short-term
recollection failure. I'm in my upper thirties, which might alarm
you.

Unfortunately, I do not recall anything below the windup handle on top
of the engine - appearance wise. I do recall that it was a metallic
light brown colored affair, and that the pan(basically that which
covers the blade and has the wheels attached to it, was somewhat more
substantial than that in the above link.

Thanks for posting that, BTW.

-CC