Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Childhood lawn mower memories...

When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

1. Who made these mowers and
2. Any photos?

I vividly recall to this day the language that came from the back yard
as Dad tried to get that thing to start and run for at least 3 minutes
between "winding". The winding sound is actually similar to rapidly
passing a stick across a picket fence or the clickety clack sound some
bicycles made because their owners put a stick in the spokes that made
the sound as they rode down the street.

Thanks for helping to revive these memories!

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what they called them, but it was a Briggs & Stratton engine.
The thing actually worked pretty well. I remember them around 1965

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
[...]

I had one. It was a Toro.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:25:41 -0700 (PDT), ChrisCoaster
wrote:

[...]

We had a Toro reel mower with that wind up handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I do not remember the brand but I narrowly escaped serious injury from one
like that. It was given to me and seemed to have a siezed engine. I was
shaking the blade back and forth trying to free it when it came loose and
the blade spun around and struck the back of my hand really hard. Since the
blade was extremely dull, the damage was not severe but it taught me a
lesson I never forgot. Wound-up springs are kinda like wound-up
rattlesnakes; they can hurt you when you least expect it!

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

did it look anything like this ?

http://www.vintagemowers.net/main_files/envoy.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

did it look anything like this ?

http://www.vintagemowers.net/main_files/envoy.jpg

I remember those mowers being the rage in the sixties. The idea was
that, rather than pulling a rope to spin the crankshaft, you would wind
up a big spring, release the ratchet, and the mower would start. It
turned out that cranking took just as much (if not more) manual effort
that pulling the rope. In addition, the cranking led to lots of broken
arms and dislocated shoulders, so the E-Z Spin Starter didn't last very
long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 10:39�pm, Reed wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

http://www.vintagemowers.net/main_files/envoy.jpg- Hide quoted text -

realtives had one we inherited it after bthey died,, a white B&S
engine.

how mnany notice old mowers were low HP some like 2HP while new ones
6HP

are the numbers inflated? or did the HP climb as safety regulations
demand lower blade tip speed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 10:39*pm, Reed wrote:
ChrisCoasterwrote:
[...]

_________________________
Well, I have what I term a "halo" memory. Specifically, my memory, as
a whole, has a "hole" in it that gradually fills in the further I go
back in time to remember something. Doctors call it "short-term
memory loss". The very fact that I still remember the SOUND of that
windup and the SMELL of gasoline as my Dad (unintetionally mind you)
flooded the sunovabitch verifies that fact. The very fact that my
wife just asked me to do something and I need to ask her "What was it
you wanted, pookie?" at least twice also points to severe short-term
recollection failure. I'm in my upper thirties, which might alarm
you.

Unfortunately, I do not recall anything below the windup handle on top
of the engine - appearance wise. I do recall that it was a metallic
light brown colored affair, and that the pan(basically that which
covers the blade and has the wheels attached to it, was somewhat more
substantial than that in the above link.

Thanks for posting that, BTW.

-CC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:24:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

realtives had one we inherited it after bthey died,, a white B&S
engine.

how mnany notice old mowers were low HP some like 2HP while new ones
6HP

are the numbers inflated? or did the HP climb as safety regulations
demand lower blade tip speed?

Any time I got near a briggs and stratton engine when I was a kid it
ended up being part of a homemade mini bike or go cart. What a blast!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 1:22�pm, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

What I liked even better in my memories was the powered reel self
propelled mower. Remember those? I really liked those and they worked
great and also made great go cart rear drive.

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8- Hide quoted text -

at perehaps 10 years old i got a new end of season close out riding
mower from WT Grant.

it never cut grass the blade was removed before i was allowed to ride
it, but risde it i did all over the neighborhood, and a couple times
pretty far.

it was painted orange and made I think by the RT Rugg company. wehen
we moved it was sold.

i would buy one of those today for old times sake
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ChrisCoasterwrote:
[...]

i would buy one of those today for old times sake- Hide quoted text -

____________________
I looked through that vintage mowers site and the problem is that the
"wind-up" style was made by more than one manufacturer. I do recall
that the pan covering the blade was pretty substantial. It was
probably from the early to mid-60s but I don't see anything on the
site that resembled it.

-CC
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ChrisCoaster wrote:

When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

1. Who made these mowers

Toro

2. Any photos?

Sorry, no.

I bought it new and used this mower easily 40-years ago.

The spring-loaded starter was pretty much a failure-prone gimmick and
caused more than a few returns to the local dealer for repair.

All-in-all, with it's "Auto Oiler" feature, deck wash-out plug, and
magnesium deck into which was screwed a bolt that would never stay tight
(ended up helicoiling it) it was mostly a POS.

My next Toro was MUCH better. After using for 17 years, my sister
finally finished it off a few weeks ago.

I am now using and enjoying a Honda.
--

JR

Need help with lawn mower ritpg Home Repair 1 June 2nd 08 06:55 PM
Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
Need help with lawn mower ransley Home Repair 5 May 17th 08 04:53 PM
lawn mower Charlie Brown Home Repair 3 October 25th 05 02:41 AM
Lawn Mower harry manka Home Repair 9 September 29th 04 03:30 PM