Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sluggish Toilet

On Sep 30, 5:44�pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:07:30 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:49?pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:12:23 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"NSN" wrote in message
.. .
My wife's toilet is a bit sluggish requiring the occasional use of a
plunger. It is an American Standard, 20 years old. Could someone point
me to a "how to" article on this subject or offer suggestions. ?I am
hoping that a Drano ?like product can be used.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Muriatic Acid is a strong, corrosive, inorganic acid (HCl), manufactured by
absorbing hydrogen chloride in water. It is one of the most corrosive of
acids, and is particularly destructive to cellulose, breaking the cellulose
chain into even smaller units, resulting ultimately in its complete
hydrolysis. It is the same chemical as Hydrochloric Acid.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet?formore info

This link states NOT to use muriatic acid IF on a septic system. Said
to kill the necessary bacteria. Instead use a septic safe product.

Something not mentioned prior to your link.

Google ? ? ?muriatic acid toilet ? ? ?and get 36,000 hits.

Note the above about cellulose, ?If some paper is sticking, it will take
care of it.- Hide quoted text -

Hi I am hallerb and have used muriatic acid on several slow toilets
with no bad effects. other than they flush fine when your done

as long as the toilet flushes solids properly with a bucket of water,
then the acid should work.

you can use CLR or even vinegar, but thats slow expensive and not
nearly as effective.

hard water clogs the interior bowl rim passages, slowing the wave
action that actually creates the flush.

people with this problem have several choices.

use a bucket to flush solids

replace the toilet with a new one.

or use acid.

I've used this (your) �acid trick and about to do it again.

What about septic tanks, acid, etc.?- Hide quoted text -

i dont think acid and septics are a good idea.

better to pull the toilet, do the acid treatmenty outdoors, flush well
with hose, and replace toilet.

when doing toliet, I always flush repeatedly at least 10 times
afterward.

you could also tape all the drain holes shut and use vinegar
oivernite.

frankly ithe acid is quick easy cheap and effective