Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Double Carbide Insert QCTP Toolholder for AXA Toolposts

On 2008-09-30, Wild_Bill wrote:
FWIW, there are two eBay sellers offering these double-ended turning-facing
(threading?) toolholders presently.

HHip and tools4cheap are offering these holders with inserts for $44/45 plus
shipping.
I would expect that these tools are China imports, so expect that the
dovetail dimensions may differ on these generic/cloned parts.

They may. If the toolpost in question is a wedge style, it
generally has sufficient range to grip well anyway -- just a bit more
travel of the locking lever.

However, if it is a piston style, it may be that the piston does
not have sufficient travel to properly lock.

The holder type-number for this particular style of holders is type 16 or
16* with a suffix letter,

The 16N is the only one which I know of. That one has the
insert pocket sloped properly for a negative-rake insert, and with the
proper insert you can get six different cutting points from it by
flipping the insert over after the first three are worn -- as long as
you haven't hit anything hard enough to break off the point. :-)

as a RCM participant with a genuine Aloris holder
had informed me of, when I had asked about the toolholder in a posting quite
some time ago.

A number of years ago, hhip was the only seller that I could find that was
listing these holders,

You mean the only eBay seller? MSC has stocked the genuine
Aloris ones for a long time now. (Granted -- they cost a lot more than
the price which you mentioned. But at that time, I could not find any
eBay auctions for used ones which were not closing within 10% of the new
price from MSC, so I went to MSC.

Also - there is another accuracy factor to consider -- the
height of the pockets. Yes, you can adjust for a pocket too high or too
low -- but if the two pockets are not the same height, you will have to
re-adjust the height every time you switch from turning to facing
position or back. One of the benefits of the genuine ones is that you
*don't* have to touch the height adjustment when switching between
positions -- assuming that you have the same type of inserts on both
ends.

then afer a while, there wasn't anyone that I could
find offering them for sale.

In case there might be anyone that's buying tooling these days that doesn't
already know, the fit/quality of "interchangeable" parts from China (or
India) is often fairly poor.

Indeed so. Did you purchase either of these? And if so, what
quality did you find?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564