Posted to alt.home.repair
Calab Calab is offline

Default Alternative to flapper in toilet tank?

wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:08:50 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

For most people, those flappers last for many years without leaking.
Do you use any "products" in your toilet to keep them fresh, or color
the water, etc? If not, the other thing might be the mating surface
for the flapper having minor flaws. A brand new flapper is a little
more resilient, so it might overcome those flaws for a while before
beginning to leak.

I have used those tank pucks that clean the tank, and I think that was the
culprit. I've since stopped. I did check the mating surface and didn't feel
any roughness, etc.

I've put in a new flapper and it's working fine. Lets see how long it lasts.