Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to flapper in toilet tank?

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:08:50 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

For most people, those flappers last for many years without leaking.
Do you use any "products" in your toilet to keep them fresh, or color
the water, etc? If not, the other thing might be the mating surface
for the flapper having minor flaws. A brand new flapper is a little
more resilient, so it might overcome those flaws for a while before
beginning to leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:08*pm, "Calab" wrote:
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Google flapperless toilets. Niagara is one brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:08*pm, "Calab" wrote:
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

I would tend to suspect the seat is in bad condition. I know you
said you checked, but what you are experiencing is not common. I
suppose that some water condition problems could cause short life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:08*pm, "Calab" wrote:
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

constantly replacing the rubber flappers on ... three
toilets. ...after a few months they seem to distort and start
leaking.

Something is very bizarre here. As someone else mentioned, flappers
usually last years, and I mean *years and years*. I've replaced entire
toilets before I've had flappers go bad.

The fact that you have 3 toilets that are going through flappers every
few months is very strange.

You are not going to like this, but since you said you've been
replacing them on 3 toilets, and you've "tried different suppliers and
grades", there are only 2 common denominators left:

The water...and you.

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but either you've got some serious
issues with your water that's eating away at these things or you're
installing them wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Calab wrote:
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Hi,
That is little intereting. In the past 15 years since I have had this
house built, I replaced 3 of them between 4 bathrooms. I don't know what
it might be but it sure does not sound right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Calab wrote:
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it
seats. The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I
get leaks after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Hi,
That is little intereting. In the past 15 years since I have had this
house built, I replaced 3 of them between 4 bathrooms. I don't know what
it might be but it sure does not sound right.

Sounds like a cleaner that is added. I had a similar problem about 10 years
ago and it was a cleaner my wife was adding to the tank. No problems since
stopping the addition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2008 12:08 PM Calab spake thus:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

The last time I worked on a problem like this (a toilet that wouldn't
stop leaking even with new flappers), the culprit turned out to be a bad
seat. Not hard to replace, and should solve this vexing problem for you.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

Calab wrote:
[...]

I've had the same experience with those blue tablets that you put in the
tank. I had lots of problems with everything in there until a plumber told
me to stop using anything in the tank. No problems since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:08:50 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Three toilets with the same problem?...........Try fixing the problem
the right way. Buy quality flappers and do not use any chemicals in
the tank.

Here is a good flapper that will last forever
http://www.korky.com/Flapper2001BP.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Calab" wrote in message
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it
seats. The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I
get leaks after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Are you buying the el-cheapo ones? the better grades last longer.

Hard water shortens the life. But not to the extreme you posted.

The toilet tank cleaners shorten the life of all, even the best. Blue water
kills flappers. Especially the cheap ones.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 7:45*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Calab" wrote in message

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it
seats. The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I
get leaks after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

Are you buying the el-cheapo ones? *the better grades last longer.

Hard water shortens the life. But not to the extreme you posted.

The toilet tank cleaners shorten the life of all, even the best. *Blue water
kills flappers. Especially the cheap ones.

Colbyt

I bet on irregularities on the seat. A new flapper is soft and can
conform to the irregularities, but after time, the flapper gets
stiffer and cannot handle the roughness of the seat and then the
leaking starts.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 12:52:05p, David Nebenzahl told us...

On 9/3/2008 12:08 PM Calab spake thus:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on
our three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after
a few months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it
seats. The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would
I get leaks after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of
repairs. Any idea on what I could use?

The last time I worked on a problem like this (a toilet that wouldn't
stop leaking even with new flappers), the culprit turned out to be a bad
seat. Not hard to replace, and should solve this vexing problem for you.

There are kits that include the flapper and a replacement ring/seat that
adheres to the existing seat with a waterproof mastic. I used one of these
years ago and never had to replace the flapper again.

There are several on the market. Here is one example:

http://www.plumbingproducts.com/repl...iletparts.html

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 6hrs 2mins
For every new foolproof invention
there is a new and improved fool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but get OEM flappers, not
aftermarket ones. I have an Eljer that never worked right with the
Fluidmaster or Korky flappers. Once I ordered the factory part by
Eljer, it works perfect, and has been for 4 years now.

This place has everything, including schematics of your toilet and
each part.
http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:08*pm, "Calab" wrote:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?- Hide quoted text -

I was going to try a power flush but I didn't have a receptacle
nearby. There's no way to get power to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:08*pm, "Calab" wrote:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?- Hide quoted text -

I was going to try a power flush but I didn't have a receptacle
nearby. There's no way to get power to it.

Actually, the product looks interesting.
But I had already installed a Leak-Guard flush unit, which can
ignore leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:08:50 GMT, "Calab" wrote:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

For most people, those flappers last for many years without leaking.
Do you use any "products" in your toilet to keep them fresh, or color
the water, etc? If not, the other thing might be the mating surface
for the flapper having minor flaws. A brand new flapper is a little
more resilient, so it might overcome those flaws for a while before
beginning to leak.

I have used those tank pucks that clean the tank, and I think that was the
culprit. I've since stopped. I did check the mating surface and didn't feel
any roughness, etc.

I've put in a new flapper and it's working fine. Lets see how long it lasts.

Fluidmaster flapper toilet valve - need new flapper [email protected] UK diy 4 January 15th 07 06:29 PM
Toilet Flapper john246 Home Repair 1 September 3rd 06 05:37 PM
Toilet flapper leaking tflfb Home Repair 15 August 4th 04 02:33 AM
Toilet Flapper barry martin Home Repair 1 December 9th 03 05:25 AM