Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
z[_2_] z[_2_] is offline

Default Honda (and Yamaha) generators

zxcvbob wrote in
:

Dave + Gloria wrote:

Bob

Cheap Charlie. Spend a grand on a genset and then skimp on the oil.
As homer would say Doh! Buy the best oil that you can afford. First
change is to get casting remnants and manufacturing dross out of
engine. Why jeopardize motor for the sake a few cents?

I'm not skimping on the oil, The first oil change is to seat the
rings (and the main bearings, I think.) That doesn't work as well if
you use synthetic oil. It will actually cost me more to go to the
store and buy a quart of SF mineral oil than the difference in price
for the SJ-or-better synthetic oil I have already.

But "penny wise and pound foolish" is the sort of thing I tend to do
if I'm not careful. :-)

Bob

Now I don't know about the Yamaha, but I was warned by the honda techs
that using synthetic in the EU series caused a problem with the low oil
sensor. They were issued some tech alert from Honda == for some reason
synthetic builds up in it or something causing them to fail a LOT sooner
than normal.

So just make sure you use what they suggest in the manual. Nothing like
a damn sensor failing that keeps you from being able to start your gen!!!