Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
StephenM[_2_] StephenM[_2_] is offline

Default Re rec.woodworking/Making crown molding

Here is an example of molding fabricated with a table saw and a sander
(POS).

Context:

The front door of my home home was 150 years old, pretty, but leaked like a
seive. It was time to install a modern door.

Even if I purchased a new 40x84 door to fit in the old space, the
transitions could have been awkward, to say the least. Instead I decided to
rebuild the whole enchilada: transome,sidelights, pannels and door. This
allowed me to put in modern windows, better insulation and use a
standard-sized door.

I wated to keep as much of the old character as possible to I tried to
recreate the moldings as much as possible.

Photo1: The finished assembly (only primed)
Photo 2: The cap (double profile) molding and two (not yet ripped apart)
single moldings prior to sanding.
Photo 3: The original exterior panel assembly. They don't make thenm like
they used to... I suppose I could have, but i could not justify the
time-consuming joinery.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Re rec.woodworking/Making crown molding-2008_0930pardoorandboxesbowls0016-jpg  Re rec.woodworking/Making crown molding-2008_0930pardoorandboxesbowls0011-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0930pardoorandboxesbowls0013.JPG (245.1 KB, 42 views)