Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Re rec.woodworking/Making crown molding

Here is an example of molding fabricated with a table saw and a sander
(POS).

Context:

The front door of my home home was 150 years old, pretty, but leaked like a
seive. It was time to install a modern door.

Even if I purchased a new 40x84 door to fit in the old space, the
transitions could have been awkward, to say the least. Instead I decided to
rebuild the whole enchilada: transome,sidelights, pannels and door. This
allowed me to put in modern windows, better insulation and use a
standard-sized door.

I wated to keep as much of the old character as possible to I tried to
recreate the moldings as much as possible.

Photo1: The finished assembly (only primed)
Photo 2: The cap (double profile) molding and two (not yet ripped apart)
single moldings prior to sanding.
Photo 3: The original exterior panel assembly. They don't make thenm like
they used to... I suppose I could have, but i could not justify the
time-consuming joinery.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Re rec.woodworking/Making crown molding-2008_0930pardoorandboxesbowls0016-jpg  Re rec.woodworking/Making crown molding-2008_0930pardoorandboxesbowls0011-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0930pardoorandboxesbowls0013.JPG (245.1 KB, 42 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"StephenM" wrote in message
Here is an example of molding fabricated with a table saw and a sander

Well done cove cut on the table saw! Two coves in the same stock requires a
good deal of carefularity and patience.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Here is an example of molding fabricated with a table saw and a sander
(POS).

Context:

(snip)

Well done.
I'd be happy with that result

Mekon

--
Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,alt.rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Stephen,

That is a damned fine piece of work!

In the picture of the unfinished mouldings, do I detect pocket hole screw
holes. ( the pics arrived in the reverse order to their descriptions
((confused me slightly)), however, it's pic 2, as it's the middle of 3) or
is this simply an effect of cutting, possibly across a knot in the wood
(three distinct marks to the base of left strip)? if it was pocket hole
tech, did you dowel the holes ion the final fixing? I was looking for the
'tell tale' round dowel marks in the final pic, but didn't note any!

Fantastic work! I loved the finished product.
(excuse my cross posting, friends, I hope it's permitted?)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,alt.rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking,rec.woodworking

That is a damned fine piece of work!

Thankyou.

In the picture of the unfinished mouldings, do I detect pocket hole screw
holes. ( the pics arrived in the reverse order to their descriptions
((confused me slightly)),

Sorry 'bout that, OE does it's best to confuse me into getting it backwards.

however, it's pic 2, as it's the middle of 3) or
is this simply an effect of cutting, possibly across a knot in the wood
(three distinct marks to the base of left strip)? if it was pocket hole
tech, did you dowel the holes ion the final fixing?

The molding on the left has screw holes because I used recyled spruce fron
the old foor frame (free, straight-grained, knot free and eay to sand.).
Those screw holes were from the original door hinges. I milled the cap
molding (the double profile on the right) out of new maple as it would be
much more exposed to being smacked.

The moldings are all attached with a bit of glue and an 18 gauge brad
nailer.

Regards,

Steve

Making Crown Molding? Jeff B Woodworking 4 October 2nd 08 07:33 AM
Crown molding cut, 70* Cut how? evodawg Home Repair 8 December 2nd 06 05:02 AM
Crown molding Kenny Goss Home Repair 2 December 1st 06 04:23 PM
crown molding??? EvoDawg Home Repair 3 June 5th 05 07:24 AM
How to cut crown molding? Key Bored Woodworking 5 November 28th 04 05:43 PM