Posted to alt.home.repair
retired53 retired53 is offline

Default Solar Pool Cover - ignore if you don't own a pool

wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 05:21:29 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

Two years ago I bought a solar pool cover for my in-ground pool. 12 mil 5
year warranty. The one I bought was mfg by GLI Pool Products.

First year was fine. At the end of the second year it started falling
apart.
There are little circles from the bubbles are all over the place and it
tears real easy.

So I got talked to the company that sold it to me (Warehouse Pool Supply,
Austin Tx) and they told me to call GLI to find out about the warranty.

I sent in the required info to GLI and they sent me back a letter. Telling
me I was entitled to a new cover I'd just have to send them $125 for the
freight.

Funny thing is I can buy the same cover on the internet (free shipping)
for
about $80.

http://www.pcpools.com/products/igso...u=NS400&id=117

I can't help but think this is a cynical joke.

I have never got more than 2 or 3 years out of one. Be sure you put it
out of the sun in the summer.

Did you ever try to get them to honor the warranty?

I do keep it out of the sun when it's on the reel. I had to replace the
cheap white cover they gave me (with the solar cover) after one year.

My yard is in the shade most of the time but it did wear out faster where it
gets sun....but it is a "solar" cover.

I'm not going to replace it until next year and I'm going to quit using it
over the winter. I think that's the trick; only use it in those times of
year when it's most effective.

I was thinking of using it this winter and keeping the heater on but that's
out now.

olddog