Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vernon[_2_] Vernon[_2_] is offline

Default Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

On 2008-09-28, Vernon wrote:

On Sep 26, 11:46*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

By way of follow-up to everybody. *I was the successful bidder for the
Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill. *However, bidding was stiff and I was the
only guy too dumb and hard headed to give up. *I don't even know if
it's complete with all the standard essential accessories. *I will
travel to pick it up early next week and will report back.

* * * * If this was eBay -- now that it is won, could you post the URL
(or preferably auction number) for the auction so we can take a look at
it? *I could at least tell you something of what might be missing -- or
what you might want to look for. *My experience is more with the CNC
version, but I've learned about a lot of the accessories in picking up
more things for my CNC lathe.

* * * * [ ... ]

Don,

I'd be both honored and grateful for you to take a peek. *Here are
both auctions: *One for the lathe / mill and the other for the KBC
bench mill. *I now have the bench mill. *Hope to fetch the lathe
within the next day or two.

Vernon

http://www.dovebid.com/assets/displa...ItemID=wtb1887

* * * * O.K. I see that this was an alternate auction site, not eBay.
But I will comment on the machine as I see it covered in the single
photo.

* * * * It is currently set up as a mill, so there are quite a few
things missing from the lathe part. *What I see as present in the mill
part a

1) * * *The milling column and head.

2) * * *The collet closer (uses ER-25 collets).

3) * * *There *may* be one of the set of collets in the closer, but
* * * * I have no way to be sure of that.

4) * * *The milling table is bolted to the cross-slide.

5) * * *The milling head does have its fine feed adjustment (on
* * * * the right side of the head. *You'll need a metric Allen key to
* * * * fit it -- and other bolts which are part of the machine.

* * * * Now -- to the lathe, and what I can see is missing and present.

6) * * *You do have the lathe tailstock.

7) * * *You do not have a chuck or collet closer visible for the
* * * * spindle. *The spindle nose is bare, and requires a rather
* * * * specialized chuck mounting style -- screws going through each
* * * * chuck body -- or through the mounting flange of the collet
* * * * closer.

* * * * The available things to fit the spindle a

* * * * a) * * *3-jaw chuck with a Jacobs style key turning
* * * * * * * * the scroll plate on the back.

* * * * * * * * The jaws on this can be reversed for large diameter
* * * * * * * * outside grip.

* * * * b) * * *A more conventional 3-jaw universal chuck, which I
* * * * * * * * consider to be better than the above. *I have both.

* * * * * * * * This one comes with a second set of jaws for the outside
* * * * * * * * grip mentioned above.

* * * * c) * * *A matching 4-jaw universal chuck -- rare, and mostly
* * * * * * * * nice for turning square stock -- or thin-walled tubing
* * * * * * * * where four contact points produces less deflection than
* * * * * * * * three.

* * * * * * * * This one comes with a second set of outside grip jaws,
* * * * * * * * four of them, of course.

* * * * d) * * *A 4-jaw independent chuck. *Thinner body than the other
* * * * * * * * chucks.

* * * * e) * * *A faceplate with four radial T-slots, and possibly a
* * * * * * * * shield to cover the lathe dog to protect the fingers of
* * * * * * * * the operator when turning between centers.. *The dog
* * * * * * * * should come with this as well.

* * * * f) * * *A collet closer which uses the same collets as the mill.

* * * * * * * * Here is one on eBay with two collets: *# 170267277167

8) * * *A ball bearing live center to fit the tailstock taper. *You can
* * * * get these with a Morse taper 1 shank.

9) * * *A drill chuck to fit the tailstock center. *These also
* * * * can be found with a Morse taper 1 shank. *I've got three which I
* * * * keep with my Compact-5/CNC. *The one which gets used the most is
* * * * an Albrecht 1/4" (6mm) one. *I also have an Albecht 1/8" (3mm)
* * * * one which I use for precision drilling -- with drill bits down
* * * * to #80. *I also have for occasional use a ROHM (clone of an
* * * * Albrecht) 3/8", which is useful when I need larger bits --
* * * * though if you stumble over a set of Morse Taper 1 shanked bits,
* * * * they will be a nice fit for the machine.

10) * * I don't see the stack of change gears to allow setting for
* * * * various thread pitches. *They mount under the left-hand cover.

11) * * An index fixture which accepts the same chucks as the lathe.

12) * * A steady rest

13) * * A toolpost to replace the miling table on the cross slide.
* * * * There are several styles which can be made to fit the machine.
* * * * The one which came with my Compact-5/CNC is a Dickson style
* * * * quick-change toolpost with a set of tool holders.

* * * * Here is one which would work fairly well for the Compact 5:

* * * * eBay auction # 320304759552

* * * * And another:

* * * * eBay auction # 220287814672

* * * * This is only for the CNC version, so skip it unless you expect
* * * * to pick up the CNC version later:

* * * * eBay auction # 320303997422

* * * * And here is a toolpost for the manual Compact-5:

* * * * eBay auction # 270280297743

* * * * Unfortunately, that one is in the UK so the price gets
* * * * complicated with the shipping. :-)

* * * * I hope that more of the accessories come with it than are
visible. *I don't know whether this auction is a "what you see is all
that you get" type.

* * * * There is an eBay auction which has several things which you will
want, but also a *lot* of repair parts for the CNC version of the
machine. *Bids are already up to $510.00 with "reserve not yet met", so
you probably don't want this unless you expect to pick up the
Compact-5/CNC in "basket case" condition, in which case this would be a
serious help.

* * * * eBay auction # 320304826587

* * * * And here is a Compact-5/CNC with a somewhat rusty chuck and
quick-change toolpost: eBay auction # 320288213355

*Way* too expensive for the visible condition in my book.

* * * * Now -- to your other win:

http://www.dovebid.com/assets/displa...temID=mmt42149

* * * * This one I am not familiar with so others will probably offer
more useful information on this. *It is interesting that the auctioneers
call it a "drill press", which suggests that it may have a drill chuck
instead of a collet in the spindle nose. *But it does appear to have a
drawbar at the top of the spindle, so between that and the table *I*
would call it a mill. *At least you did not have someone else bidding
against you on this one, so the price was quite reasonable.

* * * * I wonder what part the other bidder was after on the Compact-5?
Perhaps the entire milling attachment? *The column of the Compact-5
milling attachment is a bit weak for that to be desirable for milling of
steel at lest.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

Unka' George. Thank you for the encyclopedic response. That's a
pretty long shopping list. So I will hope at least some of the stuff
is on the pallet even though outside the picture. Can hardly wait to
see my wife and kids making stuff. V