Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default a bit of a wiring problem

"rb" wrote in message ...
Got some mysteries I need cleared up on a surface old pump. The pump is
controlled with Intermatic 220v timer:

1. I have a cable with unknown wiring. It has two red, two blacks, and
1 green. I THOUGHT it was 220v going to my well pump. I THOUGHT the
well pump was operating on 220v. Now not sure.

When measured, I get 110 between one red and one black, and 110 between
the next red and the next black. So far, I don't have any combo making
220vac. Nor to ground.

2. What I THOUGHT I had was one red/black 220v combo, and the other
red/black going to the motor inside the one cable.

Do I have one red/black combo for the motor?

Is my operating voltage 110 or 220?

My switch terminal a

Black wires: load 1 and load 2
My red wires a line 1 and line 2

Can I just hook black wires to black connectors, and red to red
connectors?

Not much can be determined from your description. The L1 and L2 terminals on
the time clock could be the feed,if it's a 240 volt clock.If the clock motor
runs on 120 volts, it will have a neutral terminal. You should be able to
read the clock motor voltage somewhere on the unit. That should give you an
idea of what voltage you should be looking for