Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Evans[_3_] Travis Evans[_3_] is offline

Default What batteries to use?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:47:36 -0400, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Travis Evans" wrote in message
Given the higher cost of rechargables and their self-discharge rate over
time, I would say that common throw-away alkaline batteries would be most
cost-effective in devices that are very rarely used, and they will stay
fresh for several years of non-use. If the device tends to sit unused
for months at a time, I would just use disposable batteries but would
not keep them in the device in case they leak during storage.

Rechargables are a better idea for devices where you have to replace the
batteries often.

Depends on the entire situation. If you have rechargables and can use them
in different units at different times they can be worth the up front cost.
Otherwise agree with you on the alkalines

You have a point here. I often use rechargeables in my TV/VCR remotes
even though alkalines would probably theoretically be a better choice,
simply because I have lots of rechargeables and usually very few alkalines,
if any, on hand.

--
Travis Evans
[Obtain email address by removing all Q's.]