Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What batteries to use?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Rechargables are generally a bad choice for seldom-used items, since
Murpy's law applies- when you want to use it, the charge will have
leaked down. And if you keep it on a charger all the time without using
it, the batteries die young, not to mention you waste juice.

Life is too short, etc. Buy Duracells or similar name brand, but don't
keep them in the device unless you use it at least weekly or so. (Most
devices have a small draw even when off, and even brand names sometimes
leak when fully flat.) I keep an assortment in the junk drawer, and add
it to the grocery list when the blister packs only have a couple left.
Much cheaper in bulk packs, especially if you cut the coupon from the
Sunday paper- they are in there at least once a month. I have maybe a
dozen battery devices in semi-regular use, and spend maybe 30 bucks a
year on batteries. Don't keep too big a shelf stock, though- in my
experience those 'good until' dates on the batteries are rather optimistic.

--
aem sends...