Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:49:43 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due to
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

I always thought $5K is about right for emergency repairs (replace A/C
or roof), now I'm thinking closer to $7K. Without such a cushion,
apartment life is a better choice.