Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof

I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due to
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

olddog wrote:
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft
is probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more)
due to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special
the new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house
in about 15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town.
Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

First you really need to get several estimates from local folks.
Second those same folks may all be over on the coast fixing Ikes's
damage so you may want to wait a while - like until next spring?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 2:49*pm, "olddog" wrote:
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due to
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Instead of "thinking" that you have the numbers right, and instead of
asking folks from all over the world about a roof in central Texas,
why not ask 3 HVAC contractors and 3 roofing contractors in your
specific area what your options are and how much they will cost?

Estimates are free and you'll have more accurate numbers than "I think
it's more than enough". There's far too many variables in both of
these jobs to get decent estimates from the likes of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sep 25, 2:49 pm, "olddog" wrote:
[...]

I hear ya. It's just a budget. There are a lot of Austin people here that
should be able to give me an idea. As far as the a/c cost goes I did get an
est of 5K to 7K which after listening here I figured is too high so I'm
budgeting 5k.

I don't want to get est until I'm ready to actually do the roof. I don't
like wasting peoples time.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
olddog wrote:
[...]

I probably won't need the roof for at least 2 years. I'm only trying to get
an idea of the cost.

Thanks

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 1:49*pm, "olddog" wrote:
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due to
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Your guess is too low. The cost of shingles went up at least 30-50%
this summer along with the spike in oil. If oil is $50 / bbl in 2
years, shingles will be cheaper, but I wouldn't count on it. Your
estimate is really close to the cost of materials.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
On Sep 25, 1:49 pm, "olddog" wrote:
[...]

Thanks...I doubt the price of oil is going back to $50.
Total cost probably closer to 3k. So I've still go 3.5k to go.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I hear ya. It's just a budget. There are a lot of Austin people here that
should be able to give me an idea. As far as the a/c cost goes I did get an
est of 5K to 7K which after listening here I figured is too high so I'm
budgeting 5k.

I don't want to get est until I'm ready to actually do the roof. I don't
like wasting peoples time.

olddog

Call a roofer, tell him you are trying to plan the reroof that is x
years in the future and ask for a
ballpark number. If that doesn't sound reasonable, the just get an
estimate that includes tearing
off the old roof, clean-up and disposal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the
new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about
15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Yep, that is about the cost of removing the old roof and paying for the dump
fees. Now you have to add in the cost of the new material and labor. If
you plan to move in 15 years, get a 30 year shingle so it still looks decent
when you sell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"olddog" wrote in message

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the
new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about
15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Yep, that is about the cost of removing the old roof and paying for the
dump fees. Now you have to add in the cost of the new material and labor.
If you plan to move in 15 years, get a 30 year shingle so it still looks
decent when you sell.

I agree 30 yr shingle. I might still be living here anyway. But if you
think it's going to cost 2k to take the old roof off how much should I
budget for the new roof? I'm guessing you think 3k won't cover it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 09:16:07p, olddog told us...

"olddog" wrote in message

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more)
due to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special
the new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the
house in about 15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a
smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Yep, that is about the cost of removing the old roof and paying for the
dump fees. Now you have to add in the cost of the new material and
labor. If you plan to move in 15 years, get a 30 year shingle so it
still looks decent when you sell.

I agree 30 yr shingle. I might still be living here anyway. But if
you think it's going to cost 2k to take the old roof off how much should
I budget for the new roof? I'm guessing you think 3k won't cover it.

I don't recall you mentioning the size of house and, obviously, that has to
be factored into the overall cost for both removal and the new roof.

Back in 1994 we had an old roof removed and a new one installed on a 2500
sq. ft. ranch style home. The cost was ~$7000. The new shingles were
rated for 30 years.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 4dys 2hrs 9mins
You've certainly got smooth skin -
between the wrinkles, that is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the
new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about
15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Yep, that is about the cost of removing the old roof and paying for the dump
fees. Now you have to add in the cost of the new material and labor. If
you plan to move in 15 years, get a 30 year shingle so it still looks decent
when you sell.

Very amusing, Edwin. Yes, OP, 2k is not enough. I just paid nearly 10k
for an extremely simple, shallow roof on a 1200 sq. ft. (plus 2-car
garage) house. That was for somewhat more pricey dimensional shingles,
new gutters, and the replacement of about 20 sheets of plywood.

Also agree with other posters who suggest calling local roofers. "But
the guys on a.h.r. said..." isn't going to count for much in your
negotiations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the
new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about
15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Thanks everyone. Knowing it could run as high as 7k is very helpful. Should
take me about 2 years to get that much scratch together. I had no idea! I've
heard of people paying 2k for roofs but I guess those days are over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

[...]

He said 1700.

Back in 1994 we had an old roof removed and a new one installed on a 2500
sq. ft. ranch style home. The cost was ~$7000. The new shingles were
rated for 30 years.

1994? So maybe 14k for the same job today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

olddog wrote:
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft
is probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more)
due to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special
the new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house
in about 15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town.
Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Ok, I've looked at some of the other answers, and the ones that say
you are too low are probably right. I'm in Tulsa Oklahoma. When I
started looking at an A/C several years ago I figured $5,000 to
$10,000 and came out about right. I got 1 bid for just under
$5,000, but it wasn't at all what I wanted. I wound up also replacing
the duct work and it came to $10,000. The heating and A/C was about
$7,000.

Then this year I got a roof. Once again the low bid was about $5,000 for
a 1440 Square Foot house. But that wouldn't have included several options
that I would have needed. The final was a bit over $7,000, but I did
go for the high end roof. The reason I went for that was that my insurance
company offers a significant discount for an impact resistant roof.

Anyway, don't figure the minimum it might cost. Figure the maximum. Then
start planning. You can probably figure it will be closer to the
high end than the low end.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:52:45 GMT, in alt.home.repair, "retired53"
[email protected] wrote:

Thanks everyone. Knowing it could run as high as 7k is very helpful. Should
take me about 2 years to get that much scratch together. I had no idea! I've
heard of people paying 2k for roofs but I guess those days are over.

Well, five years ago I paid about $4,000 to reroof about 1,700 square ft.
with 30-year architectural shingles, but that was just materials and
disposal fees for the two-layer tearoff (advice: get the BIG dumpster!). My
in-laws provided the labor for free, bless 'em all. If you were paying for
a work crew, you could probably spend as much on labor as you did for
materials....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:49:43 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due to
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Man are you ever in for sticker shock. Good luck with all that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nerv anna wrote in message
[...]

yeah...that is the impression i'm getting. same with new widows....i ended
up just leaving the old ones. it's a good thing i started this thread. i
really was planning around 2k. good thing i've got a couple of years to
prepare.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

[email protected] wrote:

Thanks everyone. Knowing it could run as high as 7k is very helpful.
Should
take me about 2 years to get that much scratch together. I had no idea!
I've
heard of people paying 2k for roofs but I guess those days are over.

Well, five years ago I paid about $4,000 to reroof about 1,700 square ft.
with 30-year architectural shingles, but that was just materials and
disposal fees for the two-layer tearoff (advice: get the BIG dumpster!).
My
in-laws provided the labor for free, bless 'em all. If you were paying
for
a work crew, you could probably spend as much on labor as you did for
materials....

thanks....i wonder how these guys on
'flip this house" are getting the job done for 2 to 4 thousand. connections?

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

"olddog" wrote in message

[...]

i'm in denial..I'm puttting away 500/mth for 2 years...that's about all i
can spare. i guess i'll have to dip into savings to pay the difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Smitty Two wrote:

Also agree with other posters who suggest calling local roofers. "But
the guys on a.h.r. said..." isn't going to count for much in your
negotiations.

Ya think?

I'd guess that he'll get estimates in the $8000-10,000 range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote

I agree 30 yr shingle. I might still be living here anyway. But if you
think it's going to cost 2k to take the old roof off how much should I
budget for the new roof? I'm guessing you think 3k won't cover it.

No, budget at least 5,000 for the roof and thats if there is no damaged
under structure. I paid about that for a similar sized house (with quite a
bit of the plywood having to be replaced) in 2001. The difference would be
the damage to the plywood (caught mine just in time). If none, you may get
away with that figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote

1994? So maybe 14k for the same job today.

i'm in denial..I'm puttting away 500/mth for 2 years...that's about all i
can spare. i guess i'll have to dip into savings to pay the difference.

Naw, it wont be that bad unless you have left it too long and it's as
swaybacked as a camel (structural damage). Have it estimated by a few
companies and be sure they include cost of plywood replacement (labor and
material) by the sheet as once they pull it off, they may find some and you
dont want to find out *then* they are the most expensive company in town.

A reputable repair roofer will have this in the estimate automatically. If
i recall right, mine was 70$ a panel and 150$ each for labor to replace it.
That was 8 years ago though. I ended up needing 19 panels replaced (estimate
before tear off was fewer but we all knew the roof needed work and the
contractor was honest and said right up front, til he could see it, he
couldnt tell for sure).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"olddog" wrote

I agree 30 yr shingle. I might still be living here anyway. But if
you think it's going to cost 2k to take the old roof off how much should
I budget for the new roof? I'm guessing you think 3k won't cover it.

No, budget at least 5,000 for the roof and thats if there is no damaged
under structure. I paid about that for a similar sized house (with quite
a bit of the plywood having to be replaced) in 2001. The difference would
be the damage to the plywood (caught mine just in time). If none, you may
get away with that figure.

Thanks.... The roof is in pretty good shape now. The house was built in 1982
and it has two layers of shingles so the last layer shouldn't be that old.
I'm figuring the last layer is only 5 or 6 years old.... but I'm guessing.
The only reason I noticed is it's not as new as our neighbors. I'm pretty
sure there is no immediate need to replace it. My guess would be the plywood
is okay. The only leak I noticed was through a skylight that I fixed
immediately. There maybe some rotting there if water got through.

Really, compared to my last house, this roof in very good shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:52:45 GMT, "retired53" [email protected] wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

Thanks everyone. Knowing it could run as high as 7k is very helpful. Should
take me about 2 years to get that much scratch together. I had no idea! I've
heard of people paying 2k for roofs but I guess those days are over.

I really think you're looking at $5-6,000 for your tearoff/reroof job,
minimum, and I think AC will cost you about $5,000, so you're looking
to scratch together at least $10,000 for quality improvements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:41:10 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"olddog" wrote

1994? So maybe 14k for the same job today.

i'm in denial..I'm puttting away 500/mth for 2 years...that's about all i
can spare. i guess i'll have to dip into savings to pay the difference.

Naw, it wont be that bad unless you have left it too long and it's as
swaybacked as a camel (structural damage). Have it estimated by a few
companies and be sure they include cost of plywood replacement (labor and
material) by the sheet as once they pull it off, they may find some and you
dont want to find out *then* they are the most expensive company in town.

A reputable repair roofer will have this in the estimate automatically. If
i recall right, mine was 70$ a panel and 150$ each for labor to replace it.

That's better than a license to print money!

the RETAIL price of that plywood at a place like Home Depot is about
$12-15 a sheet. Pulling the old sheet and putting down the new one?
Maybe a half hour if you aren't in a hurry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft
is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

Thanks everyone. Knowing it could run as high as 7k is very helpful.
Should
take me about 2 years to get that much scratch together. I had no idea!
I've
heard of people paying 2k for roofs but I guess those days are over.

I really think you're looking at $5-6,000 for your tearoff/reroof job,
minimum, and I think AC will cost you about $5,000, so you're looking
to scratch together at least $10,000 for quality improvements.

There were some "Fall" deals in a mailer for a Goodman a/c/heater units
$3.2 - $4k installed. All my duct works looks like a recent upgrade.

I'm hoping in two years have $14k barring any unforseen problems but roof
and a/c seem to be the major expenses.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

It's a good way to get some padding on the bill. "Oh we won't know until we
get the shingles off." $150 to replace a sheet of plywood!? Give me a
break!! Typical.

Reminds me of the time I paid $375 for 4.5lbs of Freon. I did notice the
price of Freon keeps going up though. $199 for 30lbs now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote

the RETAIL price of that plywood at a place like Home Depot is about
$12-15 a sheet. Pulling the old sheet and putting down the new one?
Maybe a half hour if you aren't in a hurry.

It's a good way to get some padding on the bill. "Oh we won't know until
we get the shingles off." $150 to replace a sheet of plywood!? Give me a
break!! Typical.

Actually, it was overall a good deal. Keep in mind I did have structural
damage and a sagging roof in several places. Did they make a profit? Sure!
Thats why they are in business. They did a very good job. Almost 9 years
ago and still looks like a new roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"olddog" wrote

the RETAIL price of that plywood at a place like Home Depot is about
$12-15 a sheet. Pulling the old sheet and putting down the new one?
Maybe a half hour if you aren't in a hurry.

It's a good way to get some padding on the bill. "Oh we won't know until
we get the shingles off." $150 to replace a sheet of plywood!? Give me a
break!! Typical.

Actually, it was overall a good deal. Keep in mind I did have structural
damage and a sagging roof in several places. Did they make a profit?
Sure! Thats why they are in business. They did a very good job. Almost 9
years ago and still looks like a new roof.

I'm very glad you brought it up. I'll ask the roofer how much they charge to
replace the plywood. I think I'd actually have to be there to make a
judgement call.

I usually watch the workers when they do any work around my house. If they
told me a sheet of plywood cost $70 I'd offer to go get it myself. I know I
can annoy the people working on my house but I like to know what's going on.
The last guy that worked for me told me: "Your yard needs mowing." That
didn't go over real well with his boss. :-) He was an idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:49:43 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due to
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

I always thought $5K is about right for emergency repairs (replace A/C
or roof), now I'm thinking closer to $7K. Without such a cushion,
apartment life is a better choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the
new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about
15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

I don't have anything on the A/C, but we're in the process of getting a new
roof, thanks to the remnants of hurricane IKE (in central Ohio!). The
existing roof was about 20 years old, and we'd already had a few shingle
tabs break off in other storms, so we knew it was going to be needed soon.
We were planning on next spring, but at least now the insurance is picking
up most of it. We got a couple of quotes, one from a big roofing company,
the other from a small, locally based shop that we've heard good
recommendations about. They've been around about 30 years, so it's not some
fly by night company.

We have a two story, about 1,900 sq ft. of shingles. We're looking for a
full tear off of the old shingles (single layer), and install ridge and
soffit vents (the house currently has two undersized gable vents).

The lowest quote was one from the big roofing. They quoted about $5,500
using their own brand of shingles. However, that didn't include any soffit
vents. The guy that came out said that our soffit was too narrow for for
the saws to install the vents, and that they weren't that important anyway,
as long as you had a ridge vent. He said they can install something on the
top of the deck (I think it was called SureVent), but would be about $800.
Also, he seemed pushy, several time during the estimate, he kept asking me
if we would go ahead and sign now. I told him we weren't ready yet, and he
said no problem, but a little bit later he'd ask "are you sure you don't
want to go ahead and schedule the job?" Got kind of old real fast..

The local shop came it at about $6,000. They using Owens Corning 30 year
shingles, with WeatherLock underlayment around the edges. it also included
22 soffit vents. After the comments about the small soffit size from the
other vendor, I call these guys back and asked about the soffit vents. He
said it was a narrow area, but they would use a jig saw or sawzall if a
circular saw wouldn't fit.

We've signed up with the second company. Another point in their favor (at
least for us), was that of the four companies I called on Sunday evening
(when the storm hit), they were the only one who called back on Monday, and
were out Monday afternoon to install tarps over the bare roof areas. A
few days later when the insurance adjuster came out he commented on how good
of a job they did.

Mike O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike O." wrote in message
We've signed up with the second company. Another point in their favor (at
least for us), was that of the four companies I called on Sunday evening
(when the storm hit), they were the only one who called back on Monday,
and were out Monday afternoon to install tarps over the bare roof areas.
A few days later when the insurance adjuster came out he commented on how
good of a job they did.

Mike O.

I think you made a good choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike O. wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

I'd say you made a good decision. Responded to calls, didn't do a high
pressure sales pitch, uses name-brand products with an actual
manufacturer warranty, and was willing to work around the as-built
characteristics of the place. They likely would have had me at the
emergency tarping service- damage control is often given short shrift in
the home repair world.

My other house is down in Lake Charles, LA. After that little storm a
couple of years ago, the town was rampant with fly-by-night roofers. and
I would have liked to have owned a warehouse of those blue tarps. I was
lucky, having just had a quality roof applied a few years before,
fastened down per storm-country specs. No apparent damage at all.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Mike O. wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I was very pleased with the service for the tarp. I had left a
message on Sunday evening saying we had roof damage and needed to get it
looked at and an estimate for a new roof. When they called Monday, they
said they could do the emergency repair, but weren't even scheduling
estimates for new roof jobs at that time and would get with us a few days
later. I really liked the fact that they were up front about the delay for
the estimate, were wanting to try to get through the emergency calls for
everyone before taking the time for estimates, and didn't try to rush
through an estimate with some halfway guess.

When they came by, they said because of the demand for tarps, they were
having to buy the heavier ones from Home Depot and Lowes, so we ended up
with some of the heavy 10 mil silver/gray ones, not the thin blue ones a lot
of people were using. When the insurance adjuster came by later, he said
those tarps were like duct tape. I figure when we get the roof done, I'm
going to hang on to tarps in case I ever need them for anything else..

The soffit vent comments from the one company, that they weren't really
necessary, really concerned me. Like I said, we'd been planning on getting
a new roof soon anyway, so I'd been doing my research, and everything I
found said that the venting with ridge vents COMBINED with soffit vents was
the recommended way to go.

I feel pretty confident we made the right choice. We'll know for sure in a
few weeks...

Mike O.