Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Reinforcing kitchen wall

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Sep 26, 11:25 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a kitchen wall with a window on top, below the window are 8"
concrete
blocks.

I will be installing a kitchen sink and dish washer along that wall, so I
broke the wall on one side to run the 2" PVC pipe to a vent stack to the
right. The PVC pipe run is over 4 feet long, and in order to run that pipe
and the one below for the dish washer, I had to literally break off one
side
of that concrete wall, so that resulted in half the length of that wall
being supported now with just the outside face of the old concrete blocks.
See the pictu

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/P1020499.jpg

Any idea what is the best way to patch it up? Do I get 4" thick blocks and
built up the front side? Do I frame 2x4s to support it? Do I use ply wood
to cover the front side and pour solid concrete?

You've gotten advice on how to repair it, I'll give you some advice on
how to avoid some of it.

Instead of blowing out all of the block, you could have removed the
front face of just one course of block for the horizontal run.
Running a diamond bladed circular saw or cutoff saw horizontally would
control the depth fo the cut when you start breaking out the pieces.
One course height would allow you to have the two horizontal runs and
allow for your pitch, and to use bricks, cut block or 4" block as the
infill.

Reminder: Ask the question before doing the work. That way someone
might be able to save you some time and money. After-the-fact
solutions always cost more and take longer.

RicodJour:

Thanks...but the problem is, things never ever happen as designed. I have
found myself anticipated every twists and turns, made corrective actions and
preventative measures.

In this case, the way it unfolds, the original drain pipe was there - cast
iron pipes, but was six inches higher. My wife says she wants a 10" deep
sink, and a garbage disposal. I said yes mamm. I did the measurements and
there is no way the original drain stub out being 20" off the floor will
accomodate a 10" sink and a garbage disposal. So I have to lower the drain
by about 6 inches. This means to make a run across to expose the vent stack
about 5 feet away, chip all around the pipe as it was encased in solid
concrete, cut the pipe. Then I ripped out another run lower to run the new
PVC pipes put in the WYEs and the cleanout.

The first and second run resulted in 3 rows of concrete blocks being busted
partially. I took the extra time to chip out the half broken blocks and
half dangled pieces to have a large clean rectangular area to patch.