Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Reinforcing kitchen wall

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
On 2008-09-27, MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a kitchen wall with a window on top, below the window are 8"
concrete blocks.

I will be installing a kitchen sink and dish washer along that wall,
so I broke the wall on one side to run the 2" PVC pipe to a vent
stack to the right. The PVC pipe run is over 4 feet long, and in
order to run that pipe and the one below for the dish washer, I had
to literally break off one side of that concrete wall, so that
resulted in half the length of that wall being supported now with
just the outside face of the old concrete blocks.

Is the entire damaged area under the window? If so, I expect that
there is a lintel above the window which distributes any load from
above to either side of the window. In that case the damaged area is
only carrying its own weight and the weight of the windows. That is,
not very much load. In which case your repair will be more cosmetic
than structural.

Cheers, Wayne

Yes the window is about the same width as the wall. There is a tie beam
above the window, and the window rest on a strip of 6" thick solid poured
concrete. Below that are the concrete blocks. So, no, it's not carry much
load. I am trying to find the best way to vertically bridge the floor to
the concrete below the window, the rest is mostly cosmetics.

I will also need to find ways to attach furring strips to the surface, as I
will need to put drywall over it, then cabinets.

I am leaning to using 8" thick concrete blocks on the bottom run, and once I
got to the pipe, switch to 4" thick blocks until I meet the concrete,

MC