Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chandelier advice...

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 02:13:47p, elened told us...

Hello, *I am thinking of buying a chandelier for my dining room and
have found my 'dream' chandelier at an auction in Virginia (far
away). *However, this chandelier happens to be a bit bigger than what
I'm accustomed to and wanted to get your advice as to whether I
should
go for it or not.
My dining room is 12' 8" x 13' 5" with 8' 8" ceilings and the
chandelier is a sort of chunky brass thing 30" tall by 32" diameter -
Chapman Brass Chandelier in the Chippendale taste, electrified, with
six scroll arm branches and a central turned and paneled column with
ball pendant. *It is not new or shiny and would go well with my
ecclectic / rustic furniture.
My question is: do you think this chandelier would be too big for my
dining room? And might it be too heavy (27 Ib) for the ceiling (old
farm house)
Any advice would be very appreciated!
--Elena

There's nothing wrong with using an oversized fixture over a table in the
dining room, and of course, making it a focal point. The fixture does need
to hang high enough to allow at least 32" clearance between the bottom of
the fixture and the table top.

As to the weight, you may possibly need to reinforce the junction box,
depending on how solidly it was originally mounted.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 09(IX)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 2dys 7hrs 19mins
I will not fake seizures. --Bart Simpson