Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher still leaving haze even without using any soap

On Sat 27 Sep 2008 06:19:10a, Norminn told us...

Efficiency of dishwasher? Waste of energy?

Efficiency of cleaning. It has nothing to do with energy. Most all
dishwasher detergents are designed to clean optimally at 140°F or higher.

"Idiots" aren't the only folks who get scalded in showers. 120 is hot
enough to burn in about
two to three seconds and a guest who isn't used to such hot water might
get an unpleasant
surprise.. I like hot water at the tap that isn't hot enough to hurt
when I rinse
dishes. Mechanical action is what cleans 'em at the sink and air dry is
sanitary. Never a
problem with any sort of gi illness that would relate to unsanitary
dishes.

Washing dishes in the sink is an entirely different process than using a
dishwasher, and moderately hot water will do the job.

120°F water temperature is totally inadequate for dishwasher washing.
That's why many high-end dishwashers have special heaters to boost the
washing temperature for each fill of the machine. In that case, it's
perfectly fine to keep the hot water tank set at 120°F.

Our contractor provided a mid-line dishwasher in our new home, and while it
has a heater for drying the dishes and *maintaining but not increasing* the
water temperature, it did a lousy job of washing the dishes with the hot
water tank set at 120°F. As soon as I increased the water tank temperature
to 140°F. the dishwasher cleaned flawlessly.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 09(IX)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day