Posted to alt.home.repair
Artful Dodger[_3_] Artful Dodger[_3_] is offline

Default Dishwasher still leaving haze even without using any soap

On Sep 26, 1:34 pm, Norminn wrote:
clipped

I agree with Colbyt's reply and in addition, a lot has to do with the
water.
When I 1st got a portable DW, some 40 years ago, we used it on Lake
Michigan
water with absolutely no problems. We then moved it to our present home
where we had well water that was very hard. We had dark brown
dishes. You
should have seen the white stuff on them. We started using the rinse
stuff and it
helped a lot, but the best thing was a water softener. Now we are
back to Lake
Michigan water (same house) and it's good again without the water
softener and
even without the rinse agent.

Lucky you - soft Lake Mich. water. I switched to liquid Cascade mainly
because
I don't use the dw very often and the powder turned to rock in the box.

That's why I immediately decant the powder detergent to a large glass
bottle
which closes tight. Never have any problem with powder hardening
because of exposure to moisture while still in the box.

We don't
keep the hot water very hot - well below the painful level - I fill only
one dispenser,
run it on regular cycle, and don't use a rinse. Perfect. Only two of
us, so I hand
wash most of the time. No water softener, but the water isn't too bad.

Mmm...you must have nice water or you live right!

I need to use one of those bottled rinse thingies. What is in those?

BTW. Plumber told me that it's best to set the water heater on "hot"
for
greater efficiency. Reason the installation instructions scare you
into setting it on
"medium" is so they won't get sued by some idiot burning themselves on
"hot".

Just another example of the ridiculous disclaimers sold with every
product
for fear of litigation.

Your opinions?