Posted to alt.home.repair
olddog olddog is offline

Default New roof

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 09:16:07p, olddog told us...

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"olddog" wrote in message

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more)
due to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special
the new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the
house in about 15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a
smaller town. Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Yep, that is about the cost of removing the old roof and paying for
the
dump fees. Now you have to add in the cost of the new material and
labor. If you plan to move in 15 years, get a 30 year shingle so it
still looks decent when you sell.

I agree 30 yr shingle. I might still be living here anyway. But if
you think it's going to cost 2k to take the old roof off how much
should
I budget for the new roof? I'm guessing you think 3k won't cover it.

I don't recall you mentioning the size of house and, obviously, that has
be factored into the overall cost for both removal and the new roof.

He said 1700.

Back in 1994 we had an old roof removed and a new one installed on a 2500
sq. ft. ranch style home. The cost was ~$7000. The new shingles were
rated for 30 years.

1994? So maybe 14k for the same job today.

i'm in denial..I'm puttting away 500/mth for 2 years...that's about all i
can spare. i guess i'll have to dip into savings to pay the difference.