Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

On Fri 26 Sep 2008 06:35:01a, AZ Nomad told us...

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 05:11:10 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
I assume you're happy with it, but a 650 watt oven is sadly
under-powered by today's standards. I'm sure that there must be some
current models with a taller cabinet than others.

We have two m/w's, one 1000 watt over-the-range model which I consider
perfectly adequate, and a second 1350 watt countertop model which I
really prefer. The over-the-range unit has a tall enough cavity to
accomodate any container I use, and is tall enough to handle two levels
of cooking if the rack is inserted.

It's nice to save money, but I prefer advances in technology.

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

There are lots of things that I cook at power 2, 3, or 4. I also cook
virtually everything covered, so there's no mess in the oven cavity
regardless of power setting. However, full power at high wattage is great
for quickly bringing liquid based items to a boil, then lowering the
setting for longer cooking. Not to mention that the higher the wattage,
the better popcorn pops and with virtually no unpopped kernels. This is
true whether it's prepackaged m/w popcorn, or using a m/w popcorn popper
with regular popcorn, with or without oil. Cooking bacon is no messier at
high power than at lower settings.

Today, cooking times for packaged frozen foods are usually calibrated for
ovens of 1000-1200 watts. Take a look at the packages. The final product
cooks better at the appropriate wattage, rather than having to adjust the
timing up to compensate for low power.

We jave 650 watt Amana microwaves in our break room at work. I *hate*
cookingin them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 09(IX)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)