Posted to alt.home.repair
BillGill BillGill is offline

Default New roof

olddog wrote:
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft
is probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more)
due to the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special
the new roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house
in about 15 years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town.
Is $2k enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Ok, I've looked at some of the other answers, and the ones that say
you are too low are probably right. I'm in Tulsa Oklahoma. When I
started looking at an A/C several years ago I figured $5,000 to
$10,000 and came out about right. I got 1 bid for just under
$5,000, but it wasn't at all what I wanted. I wound up also replacing
the duct work and it came to $10,000. The heating and A/C was about
$7,000.

Then this year I got a roof. Once again the low bid was about $5,000 for
a 1440 Square Foot house. But that wouldn't have included several options
that I would have needed. The final was a bit over $7,000, but I did
go for the high end roof. The reason I went for that was that my insurance
company offers a significant discount for an impact resistant roof.

Anyway, don't figure the minimum it might cost. Figure the maximum. Then
start planning. You can probably figure it will be closer to the
high end than the low end.

Bill