Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

Cheri wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:53:37 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

"Phil Again" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit
(assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I
mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

One word of caution:

You do need good quality phone circuit wires in the wall. Almost all
homes built in the last 20 years or so will be OK. Last 10 years even
better.

If your home is over 50 years old (pre 1960) you could be in some
trouble. You may have to re-do a lot of your phone system wiring in
such
a case.

Wait until it is proof this a problem.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have decided not to do it, and I do
live in
a house that was built in 1963. I think if I do something, I will go
with
Comcast Broadband, since I do know that they come to install it, and I
believe it connects through the cable. I'm old now, and after reading
the

Cheri

In my area internet with Comcast is $87 a month, AT&T DSL Lite is $20
a month. DSL gives you a private connection, cable internet is shared
with everyone in your neighborhood.

Where I am, it's on a special right now for 25.00 installation 34.99 per
month for six months and then 39.00 after that.

Cheri

I've had both DSL and cable. In my opinion all the talk about sharing
service and bandwidth is, while technically accurate, absolutely useless
for the ordinary user. Unless you spend your time uploading and
downloading huge files, you will never notice whether you are using the
faster or slower service. I routinely email large jpg files, and never
saw a difference between the two services.

I had two phone lines, and dsl would not work on the newer line.
Apparently the switches at the phone company CO were more robust years
ago and could handle DSL, while the newer switches won't. Since I live
too many yards from the CO, this affected my service.

As to installation, my DSL company sent very clear instructions, and as
they were a local company they were easy to call with problems. A lot
of the difficulty with DSL installation appeared to involve coordination
with the phone company, and as my DSL provider was a local company, they
had the connections to get things done promptly and right. Alas, my
local DSL company was gobbled up by a national company, and the good
personalized tech support disappeared. When I called tech support and
their first question was what state I lived in, I saw trouble on the
horizon and after a few problems, I switched to cable.

Perhaps because my cable company was just getting into the business, I
had some problems with installation. One tech insisted that since my
cable drop ran through an underground conduit, it was getting wet, which
was affecting my service. I drained the conduit (there was some water
in it) and the cable worked, but then went out again. The next tech
pointed out that the drop was waterproof, and the problem was with the
cable modem they had installed (apparently an outdated model). He
replaced it and now for a couple of years the service has been flawless.
They even offer to come out (for a fee) and hook up a second computer,
but I was able to do that on my own easily.

So I think, unless you get DSL from a good local company, cable is the
better option, as you are then dealing with a single company, and as
they often have packages that save you a bit on your TV cable or cable
phone.