Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

In most cases it really is that easy. The best bet is to get their
supported home router option, often with WiFi, so that 1. the ISP will
directly provide support, and 2. the only connections are power and the
phone line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install
by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

In most cases it really is that easy. The best bet is to get their
supported home router option, often with WiFi, so that 1. the ISP will
directly provide support, and 2. the only connections are power and the
phone line.

OK, great. Thanks for the quick answer.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:

In most cases it really is that easy. The best bet is to get their
supported home router option, often with WiFi, so that 1. the ISP will
directly provide support, and 2. the only connections are power and the
phone line.

OK, great. Thanks for the quick answer.

Cheri

I was going to answer, but since I did it three years ago and don't
remember anything about it, I did not want to be the first. I am
thinking that since I don't remember much about it, it couldn't have
been that hard. I tend to hold grudges and would still be po'ed at the
phone company if there were any problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

Pretty easy to do. You have to install filters on all the phones. They just
plug into the wall outlet and then plug the phone into the filter.
Be sure not to plug the modem into a filter. There is a special filter for
wall phones that hangs on the wall bracket and then hang the phone on that
filter.
Don't forget answering machines (if they are separate from the phone) and
fax machines.
If you have a phone that has one or more remote units, only the main unit
that has its own phone line needs a filter . The remote units do not need a
filter.
If you have a monitored alarm system, call the company and tell them to come
out and install a filter on their system.

The hookups to the modem and computer etc is straight forward. Cables are
different colors and the directions with the kit will tell you which cable
goes where.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

Plug phone cord from wall socket to dsl modem.
Plug AC adapter into wall, other end into dsl modem.
Connect network cable from computer to dsl modem.

Install filters on all the other phone extensions.

Boot computer.

That's it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

The electrical connections are easy, as previous posters have indicated.
But the software/configuration can be a nightmare. It took me ~5 hours
to get a friend hooked up to att/yahoo in Northern California. ATT's
installation software sort of destroyed everything in its path. Your
mileage may vary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bennett Price wrote:

Cheri wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

The electrical connections are easy, as previous posters have indicated.
But the software/configuration can be a nightmare. It took me ~5 hours
to get a friend hooked up to att/yahoo in Northern California. ATT's
installation software sort of destroyed everything in its path. Your
mileage may vary.

Yes, avoiding installing *any* ISP provided software is a good thing.
Getting the ISP's supported home router package generally helps the
novice user avoid the ISP's malware.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

The self-install kit includes

DSL "modem"
Splitter
Filters (to put on all extension phones, fax machines, etc)
cables
installation CD

If you follow the instructions carefully, you'll be up and running
within a few minutes. No technical skills needed. You'll get an 800
number to help if you get stuck.

Try to locate your modem away from motors, microwave ovens, neon
lights, transformers, etc. and try to pick a location close to a
phone outlet. You should also position the modem where you can easily
monitor the status lights which will help with troubleshooting. You
may have problems, although fixable, if you have a security system
that uses the phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 11:42*am, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

It's fairly easy but not "any moron can do it" easy. It's when you
have problem and have to call someone from India to try to fix it,
that's when it's a real problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

Unless you're a blonde......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring

me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install

by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

It is easy enough that most vendors deliver with
a money-back guarantee or require payment only
after successful connection.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

One word of caution:

You do need good quality phone circuit wires in the wall. Almost all
homes built in the last 20 years or so will be OK. Last 10 years even
better.

If your home is over 50 years old (pre 1960) you could be in some
trouble. You may have to re-do a lot of your phone system wiring in such
a case.

Wait until it is proof this a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

It varies. The devil is in the details. You'll need to decide whether
to connect via wire or wireless, and make sure you have the appropriate
hardware to do so. As others have said, you'll need to install the
filter(s). That should be easy, assuming your phones are relatively
new. But if your phone wiring is ancient, you may need to update parts
of it.

Probably the way to go is get the kit, try to make it work, but have a
geek friend on call if it doesn't.

I had no trouble installing mine, but when my neighbor tried, she
couldn't make it work. She and I spent some time talking to a very
pleasant young lady in India before we got our first connection. I'm
not sure they're all as good as the one who answered our call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

Yes. Anyone should be able to get a DSL connection running.
If your phones are noisy that is another dimension.

Technology has passed much of the population.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 24, 1:42*pm, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

-If you can walk upright and tie your own shoes you are qualified. Go
for it!

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:

I had no trouble installing mine, but when my neighbor tried, she
couldn't make it work. She and I spent some time talking to a very
pleasant young lady in India before we got our first connection. I'm
not sure they're all as good as the one who answered our call.

No, unfortunately they aren't. In my experience your odds of getting a
competent tech at an India call center is perhaps 10% at best. Not that
competent techs don't exist in India, more the competent techs in India
mostly don't work support call centers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phil Again" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring
me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to
install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean,
really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

One word of caution:

You do need good quality phone circuit wires in the wall. Almost all
homes built in the last 20 years or so will be OK. Last 10 years even
better.

If your home is over 50 years old (pre 1960) you could be in some
trouble. You may have to re-do a lot of your phone system wiring in such
a case.

Wait until it is proof this a problem.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have decided not to do it, and I do live in
a house that was built in 1963. I think if I do something, I will go with
Comcast Broadband, since I do know that they come to install it, and I
believe it connects through the cable. I'm old now, and after reading the

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Yes, avoiding installing *any* ISP provided software is a good thing.
Getting the ISP's supported home router package generally helps the
novice user avoid the ISP's malware.

We bought our own router to avoid the ISP's monthly fee for using their
router. Configuration was a mild pain but nothing a moderately experienced
computer user should be unable to do. Occasionally we have to recycle the
modem which the ISP provided but the router has been solid as a rock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

Order the kit. Call tech support on a line not connected to where you are
hooking up the modem or after installing the modem through provided
filter/duplex plug (plugged into the correct, marked outlet).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit
(assuring me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very
easy to install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it
easy? I mean, really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

As long as you adhere to two fundamental rules:

1. DO NOT make any use of any CD that comes with the package. It is not
needed and will honk up your system beyond recognition.
2. Have a 12-year old male on call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Yes, avoiding installing *any* ISP provided software is a good thing.
Getting the ISP's supported home router package generally helps the
novice user avoid the ISP's malware.

We bought our own router to avoid the ISP's monthly fee for using their
router. Configuration was a mild pain but nothing a moderately experienced
computer user should be unable to do. Occasionally we have to recycle the
modem which the ISP provided but the router has been solid as a rock.

I suggested the ISP's supported home router since then the ISP is on the
hook for support of both the router and the DSL connection, so no
pointing fingers at the other guy can occur, something helpful for a
tech novice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

2. Have a 12-year old male on call.

So easy a kid could do it. Unfortunately they did not include a kid
in the package.

rim shot
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

Order the kit. Call tech support on a line not connected to where you are
hooking up the modem or after installing the modem through provided
filter/duplex plug (plugged into the correct, marked outlet).

My question always is...if it's so damned easy, why is there a tech support
number for installation problems? I buy things like floor lamps, appliances
etc., and not one of them comes with tech support for plugging it in, now
that's what I call easy.:-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:53:37 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

"Phil Again" wrote in message
om...
[...]

In my area internet with Comcast is $87 a month, AT&T DSL Lite is $20
a month. DSL gives you a private connection, cable internet is shared
with everyone in your neighborhood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:53:37 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

"Phil Again" wrote in message
om...
[...]

DSL is shared with everyone in the neighborhood (Telco CO or RT) as
well. Cable is normally considerably higher data rate than DSL as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are the only one to mention this very important point.

Anytime I install something new I first install my last known good
image of my system. After using the AT&T CD to do the installation I
had so much junk everywhere I couldn't believe it. AT&T, like
Micro$oft, wanted my home page, bookmarks and many other settings
changed to "their way." It would have taken hours to re-set
everything.

Once I found out that their CD was unnecessary (and it didn't even get
the settings correct on my router -- that took a call to the help
desk.) I went back and installed my last known good image of my
system.

G.S.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:13:03 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Cheri wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit
(assuring me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very
easy to install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it
easy? I mean, really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

As long as you adhere to two fundamental rules:

1. DO NOT make any use of any CD that comes with the package. It is not
needed and will honk up your system beyond recognition.
2. Have a 12-year old male on call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:25:59 -0500, Gordon Shumway wrote:
You are the only one to mention this very important point.

Anytime I install something new I first install my last known good
image of my system. After using the AT&T CD to do the installation I
had so much junk everywhere I couldn't believe it. AT&T, like
Micro$oft, wanted my home page, bookmarks and many other settings
changed to "their way." It would have taken hours to re-set
everything.

Once I found out that their CD was unnecessary (and it didn't even get
the settings correct on my router -- that took a call to the help
desk.) I went back and installed my last known good image of my
system.

The software provided by cable and phone companies is never necessary.
They don't set up the router, they only provide a ton of horse****
like garbage antivirus products like mcaffee, renaming the browser
"Qwest's Internet Explorer", redirecting the home and search pages,
etc. They do everything but set up the internet.

Alomost always, the modem is shipped already set up. It'll provide
DHCP service so that the PC can automatically ask for params like IP,
gateway, DNS, etc. via DHCP. All one has to do is connect PC to modem
via an ethernet cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Phil Again" wrote in message
news:BuidnZc499HBI0fVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@earthlink. com...
[...]

Where I am, it's on a special right now for 25.00 installation 34.99 per
month for six months and then 39.00 after that.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:42:33 -0700, Cheri wrote:

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

Let a guy friend take care of it while you make him a nice sandwich.

--
Deja Vu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the
head like this before.

9/24/2008 11:19:11 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:03:12 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

[snip]

In my area internet with Comcast is $87 a month, AT&T DSL Lite is $20
a month. DSL gives you a private connection, cable internet is shared
with everyone in your neighborhood.

DSL is shared with everyone in the neighborhood (Telco CO or RT) as
well. Cable is normally considerably higher data rate than DSL as well.

That's what you hear in DSL ads. It's true, but incomplete. The
internet itself is shared.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You are the only one to mention this very important point.

Anytime I install something new I first install my last known good
image of my system. After using the AT&T CD to do the installation I
had so much junk everywhere I couldn't believe it. AT&T, like
Micro$oft, wanted my home page, bookmarks and many other settings
changed to "their way." It would have taken hours to re-set
everything.

Once I found out that their CD was unnecessary (and it didn't even get
the settings correct on my router -- that took a call to the help
desk.) I went back and installed my last known good image of my
system.

That's one reason for using a router. You don't have to install
ANYTHING of theirs on YOUR computer.

wrote:

Cheri wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit
(assuring me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very
easy to install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it
easy? I mean, really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

As long as you adhere to two fundamental rules:

1. DO NOT make any use of any CD that comes with the package. It is not
needed and will honk up your system beyond recognition.
2. Have a 12-year old male on call.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:53:37 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

"Phil Again" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I've had both DSL and cable. In my opinion all the talk about sharing
service and bandwidth is, while technically accurate, absolutely useless
for the ordinary user. Unless you spend your time uploading and
downloading huge files, you will never notice whether you are using the
faster or slower service. I routinely email large jpg files, and never
saw a difference between the two services.

I had two phone lines, and dsl would not work on the newer line.
Apparently the switches at the phone company CO were more robust years
ago and could handle DSL, while the newer switches won't. Since I live
too many yards from the CO, this affected my service.

As to installation, my DSL company sent very clear instructions, and as
they were a local company they were easy to call with problems. A lot
of the difficulty with DSL installation appeared to involve coordination
with the phone company, and as my DSL provider was a local company, they
had the connections to get things done promptly and right. Alas, my
local DSL company was gobbled up by a national company, and the good
personalized tech support disappeared. When I called tech support and
their first question was what state I lived in, I saw trouble on the
horizon and after a few problems, I switched to cable.

Perhaps because my cable company was just getting into the business, I
had some problems with installation. One tech insisted that since my
cable drop ran through an underground conduit, it was getting wet, which
was affecting my service. I drained the conduit (there was some water
in it) and the cable worked, but then went out again. The next tech
pointed out that the drop was waterproof, and the problem was with the
cable modem they had installed (apparently an outdated model). He
replaced it and now for a couple of years the service has been flawless.
They even offer to come out (for a fee) and hook up a second computer,
but I was able to do that on my own easily.

So I think, unless you get DSL from a good local company, cable is the
better option, as you are then dealing with a single company, and as
they often have packages that save you a bit on your TV cable or cable
phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Every moron except YOU !!!!!
You're just TOO STUPID !!!!

Go look in a mirror and you'll see what I mean.....
LEt us know when you say out loud "W O W I ' M S T U P I D !

Oh, oh. Your little class for the challenged obviously let out early today,
so "LEt" us go back now and tell our teacher that we are making fun of
someone else, and we can't even send a correct post. I am LMAO at you.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 2:42*pm, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me
since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by
yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really
easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

--
Cheri

One thing I didn't notice mentioned is many DSL providers are sending
a combo unit: modem and router all-in-one (usually wireless router).
That can throw a monkey-wrench at you in set-up if you're "not a
technical person at all".

Being the unofficial tech-support person for my family and a few
colleagues, I get calls at least bi-weekly saying "Such-and-such has
gone wrong with my computer; what do I need to do to fix it?" and
invariably I end up spending time walking a novice step-by-step
through something that monitoring software could fix, or would at
least give the ISP's Help Desk access to their computer to fix it by
remote.

So much as it galls me to suggest to someone to possibly install junk
on their computer (Comcast's monitoring software is particularly
stupid), unless you're comfortable enough tackling installation and
troubleshooting without having access to Internet resources, I
recommend you use the self-installation kit and save yourself some
headaches down the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary H wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:03:12 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

[snip]

In my area internet with Comcast is $87 a month, AT&T DSL Lite is $20
a month. DSL gives you a private connection, cable internet is shared
with everyone in your neighborhood.

DSL is shared with everyone in the neighborhood (Telco CO or RT) as
well. Cable is normally considerably higher data rate than DSL as well.

That's what you hear in DSL ads. It's true, but incomplete. The
internet itself is shared.

You seem to be replying to the wrong person, and your information is
inaccurate as well.

For a cable modem, your connection is shared with the other houses (with
cable modem service) in your local "node", typically 250-500 potential
homes.

For DSL, your connection is shared with other houses (with DSL service)
in your local Telco central office for older areas, or the Telco's
remote terminal (a.k.a. RT equivalent to a cable "node") servicing your
neighborhood.

So, cable or DSL are both connections where the bandwidth is shared with
others in your neighborhood. Of course all Internet traffic is on shared
circuits ultimately anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We bought our own router to avoid the ISP's monthly fee for using
their router. Configuration was a mild pain but nothing a
moderately experienced computer user should be unable to do.
Occasionally we have to recycle the modem which the ISP provided but
the router has been solid as a rock.

I suggested the ISP's supported home router since then the ISP is on
the hook for support of both the router and the DSL connection, so no
pointing fingers at the other guy can occur, something helpful for a
tech novice.

Sure, it all depends on their tech comfort level. I just have an aversion
to paying a monthly fee for something we bought, set up and have ignored
ever since. I even got my wife to dump her $100/year voice-mail account for
a $20 answering machine that works like a champ. Maybe this comes from
using business software where the annual support fees outweigh the initial
cost of the software after awhile, it rubs me the wrong way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

[...]

Some people do need the support, so the extra cost is worthwhile. Of
course in the business software world you usually get a lot more useable
support at a much higher cost. With cable/DSL you get barely passable
support for a buck or two a month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Some people do need the support, so the extra cost is worthwhile. Of
course in the business software world you usually get a lot more
useable support at a much higher cost. With cable/DSL you get barely
passable support for a buck or two a month.

I seem to see prices more like five bucks a month, which means I could buy a
router and pay someone to set it up for the cost of a year's rental, and any
future years would be free. I hear your point about people with zero
technical ability. It just seems like a scam to me unless routers as a
species are notoriously unreliable and need frequent care and feeding, which
ours has not once we got past the inititial configuration. If someone has
to pay a Geek Squad type to set it up, fine, but I don't see the need to pay
a monthly fee for something that will probably be stable as a brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:19:06 -0400, Not@home wrote:
I've had both DSL and cable. In my opinion all the talk about sharing
service and bandwidth is, while technically accurate, absolutely useless
for the ordinary user. Unless you spend your time uploading and
downloading huge files, you will never notice whether you are using the
faster or slower service. I routinely email large jpg files, and never
saw a difference between the two services.

Perhaps because my cable company was just getting into the business, I
had some problems with installation. One tech insisted that since my
cable drop ran through an underground conduit, it was getting wet, which

I generally agree. DSL and cable run neck in neck with cable
typically two to three times as fast for downloading and one forth as
fast for uploads.

When I first got cable, it took five visits to get it working. The
cable guy would arrive, ask what the problem was and I'd say that "you
keep leaving the job without getting it working!" Turned out that
they had the interference filter on the data side doing a lovely job
of keeping the data signal away from the modem. That was around '99
and I was amazed at the 200-300KB download speeds having been using a
modem @ 3-4KB/s previously.

Nowadays DSL can do 900-1200KB/s; my cable does 2-3.5MB/s.

I generally go with cable because I use cable tv anyway. If they keep
scrambling most of the channels I pay for and preventing me from recording
unless I buy their cheesey DVR, I will probably dump them and go to
recording digital TV OTA and go with the cheapest high speed internet
available, and that will probably be DSL.