Posted to alt.home.repair
retired53 retired53 is offline

Default New roof

nerv anna wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:49:43 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house.

The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched
roof.
Currently two layers of shingles. With the patio the roof's sq ft is
probably about 2000 sq ft.

So far I have $4500 put away for the a/c. The goal for the a/c is $5000
which I *think* is more than enough.

How much should I put away for the roof? I'm guessing $2000 (or more) due
the fact the old roof will have to be removed. Nothing special the new
roof. Middle of the line shingles. I plan to sell the house in about 15
years when we'd like to cash out and move to a smaller town. Is $2k
enough?

Thanks,

olddog

Man are you ever in for sticker shock. Good luck with all that.

yeah...that is the impression i'm getting. same with new widows....i ended
up just leaving the old ones. it's a good thing i started this thread. i
really was planning around 2k. good thing i've got a couple of years to
prepare.

olddog