Posted to alt.home.repair
elened elened is offline

Default Chandelier advice...

On Sep 25, 6:46*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
RBM wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...
"elened" wrote in message
Hello, I am thinking of buying a chandelier for my dining room and
have found my 'dream' chandelier at an auction in Virginia (far
away). However, this chandelier happens to be a bit bigger than what
I'm accustomed to and wanted to get your advice as to whether I
should go for it or not.

My dining room is 12' 8" x 13' 5" with 8' 8" ceilings and the
chandelier is a sort of chunky brass thing 30" tall by 32" diameter -
Chapman Brass Chandelier in the Chippendale taste, electrified, with
six scroll arm branches and a central turned and paneled column with
a ball pendant. It is not new or shiny and would go well with my
ecclectic / rustic furniture.
My question is: do you think this chandelier would be too big for my
dining room? *And might it be too heavy (27 Ib) for the ceiling (old
farm house)
Any advice would be very appreciated!
--Elena

Assuming that your table is full size (at least 40" wide) *it should be
OKAY. * Your opinion is the only one that really matters.

Mine is 27" wide and about 30" tall in a *smaller room with 8' ceiling.

Most people buy and install something that is far too small for the room
because the bigger ones cost too much.

I can't see it from here, you may be able to from the attic; the older
boxes MAY BE far more secure and sturdy than more recent ones. *In most 60
year and older installations a scrap of wood was run between the joist and
the metal *box was secured to that. *Later installs use a metal bracket
and the newest are just plastic boxes nailed to a joist.

BTW, the "proper height" *is 30" above the table. *A lot of folks hang
them much too high also.

--
Colbyt
Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com

If it looks good to you, go for it. I wouldn't be to concerned about the
weight. Garden variety ceiling boxes are good for something like 35 pounds,
and old boxes, either screwed to framing or attached to a steel bar are very
strong

There are ceiling fan boxes that can be installed without cutting a
larger hole in the ceiling. *like this:

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-7637/Detail

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

You are all wonderful. Thanks so much for the advice. You put me at
ease. And the chandelier is replacing a ceiling fan so I'm assuming
the box should be adequate - in any case, I'll make it work.

Again, thank a lot! --Elena